Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

super 8 almost stuck
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
working on a super 8 that was sitting for years big surprise. the plugs on the the back 3 cylinders were rusted pretty bad like water was laying in the area around the plugs. I loosened the spark plugs a turn or so and blew out the rust and junk around the plug before removing them. Soaked the cylinders with marvel mystery oil. I removed the flywheel cover and with a pry bar was able to turn the flyweel with a fair amount of pressure. after a couple days i turned the engine about a half of 1 revolution and its starting to get tight again. I put more mystrery oil in the cylinders. I was going to try and turn it more in a couple of days but i was wondering if i should pull the head off. If i used the starter i may not have noticed the tight spot.

Posted on: 2022/5/1 14:59
 Top  Print 

Re: super 8 almost stuck
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just curious, quite a few different Packard engines used the "Super 8" label over the years, which specific one are you working on?

How about a bore scope for a quick examination before you decide whether or not to pull the head?

Posted on: 2022/5/1 15:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Although I know little about these early engines, they are basically the same as the later ones. Since you were able to turn it so far, my guess would be that a valve is stuck in the not-quite-full-up position and that the cam is now trying to lift it the rest of the way. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it - until the real experts chime in!

Posted on: 2022/5/1 15:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Been there, done that. Same thing happened to me. Engine had sit for 30 years, and when I turned the engine over 1/2 a turn everything locked up. Figured it was a valve since I had some movement. Tried spray penetrants and MMO, but still nothing. Finally, I decided to soak it down real nice with a 50/50 solution of diesel and ATF. Get a gallon of each, cause you'll need two gallons. Drain the crankcase before you start, cause that's where everything will drain. Fill the cylinders to the brim and wait two weeks. Then, try to turn it over. Hopefully it'll spin completely. Drain the crankcase and clear the manifolds. Worked for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QqXKzS1JVU

Posted on: 2022/5/1 15:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
the engine is a 1941 super 8 i dont know why but i keep coming across 41s they must have made alot of those. I may check into a bore scope it would be nice to see inside i also thought a valve could have rust on the stem making it hard to open. Nothings ever simple.

Posted on: 2022/5/1 17:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Yes, you could have rust-n-crud on a valve stem. Allah only knows what all can lurk inside these things after a few decades of weather and neglect.

From the FWIW Department, I have a 9-main 327 that's stuck as a sumbitch. I pulled the head and have poured all manner of concoctions into the cylinders. It seems that 4 and 8 are the miscreants. The engine has dropped way down my priority scale or I'd pull the pan at this point to see if it's something broken and in the way. Were it not that, then it's time to break a piston or two.

It's not like I won't be rebuilding it anyway. It's only money.

Posted on: 2022/5/1 18:00
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You don’t typically need to break a piston to get a stuck Packard straight-8 apart as long as it’s out of the car! I have a 1952 nine-main that was similarly stuck after sitting outside in a parts car for many years (and who know now many years before I got it). After taking out the crank, it was a simple matter of driving out the pistons! It took a little elbow grease but otherwise not difficult. I still have the engine too in case anyone needs one coded to a 1952 Patrician!

Posted on: 2022/5/1 18:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Good to know, when time comes.

Mine is from a '51/auto

Posted on: 2022/5/1 18:37
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I got a bore scope I have been wanting to buy 1 for years. I thought it was a good idea. I cant get the scope into the cylinder because the cylinder is not under the spark plug hole and it will not bend enough to get it into the cylinder. I also checked the antifreeze to make sure that it was good. the antifreeze was good to -30. I may have to put the car in the back of the garage till winter when things slow down I just hope I don't loose interest till then. I guess I will fill the cylinders with the diesel and atf before I do

Posted on: 2022/5/5 13:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
You may be able to use the bore scope up the valve stem when you take off the side valve cover plates. Not much to see in the cylinder anyway as you said as the valves are out beside the cylinders. Just removing the side covers gets you able to see the valve action without anything fancy as the lifters and valve stems are right there.
I suspect if it is this stiff you would want to tear it down and replace the rings at the very least and pull the valves and clean up there stems so they run smooth through the valve guides. Not like it is your only car and you need it to get to work. Relax and enjoy this part of the hobby and get to know you have a solid engine that will purr nicely with fewer mysteries.

Posted on: 2022/5/6 10:57
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved