Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 134

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Borg Glove Box Clock
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Hi- I am in search of a reasonable repair shop to fix a 6 VDC power post on my Borg glove box clock on my Super 8. Several shops that I talked to want to replace the internals with a quartz movement. Bobs Speedometer quoted me $180+
Can I simply just replace the motor with another Borg glove box clock of similar size from the 1930/40s?

Thanks for your suggestions
Gar

Posted on: 2022/5/2 18:56
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Borg Glove Box Clock
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
(715) 479-5759
The Clock Works
Eagle River, WI
Reasonable, competent, and your clock will run as originally designed. I had a couple of disappointing experiences before I found them.

Posted on: 2022/5/3 4:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
As I understand it, clocks of the time weren't really designed to last more than 5 years or so. So once the clock stops working, usually there is a lot of internal wear. So theoretically you could, but it would be better to just get it professionally rebuilt then keep the maintenance schedule.

I've heard good reviews of the Clock Works above. They have a website now too.

Posted on: 2022/5/3 8:32
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Can I simply just replace the motor with another Borg glove box clock of similar size from the 1930/40s?

Not necessarily. Swapping out the mechanism not only depends on size and age of the clock works but also the dash enclosure and where the operator time set knob is located. A large enclosure such as was typical on the glovebox mounted clocks will probably have a gear train involved between the operator set knob and the inner workings. A size or location difference where the knob is positioned on other units could require some custom work or not be usable at all.

If you are going to keep the stock mechanical clock then I too would suggest you send to a reputable shop and have yours cleaned and repaired. If you do try a swap I think you might need to stay around 39-40 Packard and maybe 42-47 Clippers. Faces are different but mounting for the mechanism to the face is probably the same. As I recall those are all round and similar sized but not sure if the time set knobs are located the same. While a swap might have good terminals, would probably still need to be sent off for a cleaning.

Custom work may be factored in the quartz conversion price. When my 56 clock was converted (half the size of the 40s units) even with the quartz works being universal and somewhat similar in size to the 56 Borg works, the shop had to add a new support piece to mount the quartz works and battery connection. They also had to modify the gear train between the new works and old set knob by adding an additional gear to mesh with the different quartz time set location.

Posted on: 2022/5/3 10:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Just want to put a word in for the 1940 Borg clock. I think it's cool the way it works. It's "electric" sort of. It has a watch mechanism. The electrical aspect is to wind the watch every few minutes, that click.
Fully wound the two electrical contacts are sprung far apart and as the clock runs down, the contacts come closer and closer together until until Wham! they touch for a moment which springs them back apart winding the watch mechanism.
Since cleaned up by the ClockWorks in Feb 2018, it's been running perfectly. People are amazed when they notice it. But then again the tube radio has been working since 1986.
I would just add that if you don't drive your Packard often, it can run down a regular 6V battery if there's no trickle charger on it.

Posted on: 2022/5/3 16:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My 1965 Cadillac Fleetwood and 1965 Imperial LeBaron work in the same exact way since it was tried and true. Until electronic clocks came along, there was no reason to reinvent the wheel!

On one of my 1965 Cadillacs, Borg themselves converted it to quartz and the only way to tell that it wasn’t stock was that the second had moved smoothly rather than ticking through the seconds.

Posted on: 2022/5/3 22:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bullsh--ter
See User information
On my 37 the clock had literally fallen apart. I know the purist wont like this but I fabbed in a small battery powered clock and except for the hands being different it works well.

Posted on: 2022/5/4 16:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
My '47 Deluxe clock works. Sometimes. On its schedule. I'm good with that. It's been taking a whack at telling time lately.

Too bad its knob is missing and I can't set it.

Posted on: 2022/5/4 20:02
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved