Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Fuel Tank Interchange - 1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Siewe
See User information
I own a 1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper that needs a new fuel tank. I spotted a reproduction 1948 through 1950 Packard fuel tank available on E-Bay. 1948 1949 1950 Packard Gas Tank
Can the members tell me if this tank can interchange with my 1947 tank?
Thanks!
Dave

Attach file:

jpg  47 Packard.JPG (35.74 KB)
3967_627917ca13a18.jpg 640X478 px

Posted on: 2022/5/9 8:32
 Top  Print 

Re: Fuel Tank Interchange - 1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
The tank will fit but the sending units are different. I replaced tanks on my 47 Clipper taxi with a 49 tank. You will have to use a sending unit for a 47. I made a adapter plate for the sending unit. The hole is larger on the 48-50 tank and the bolt pattern is different. The 47 and 48 have different OHMs. I hope this helps and good luck. Beautiful Packard.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 10:07
Packardtaximan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
WOW! Unless it is too good to be true, (and with the number of repro Packard tanks they offer, I am not sure it isn't) that site and the several other year Packard -- even prewar --repro tanks is quite the find. It is the first I have seen of anyone offering repro tanks for Packards other than the 51-6 models. The 51-6 repros became available a few years ago but even those require a bit of tweaking.

There are two part numbers for the 47 and different ones for the 48-50 tanks. Other than capacity, I cannot say what all the differences are or if it will be a drop in direct fit -- but it is a start and the shape looks good. There were 17 and 20 gallon tanks for those years so depending on what the repros are it could be another difference you would need to contend with and that would be getting a different capacity sender. The arm length is the difference there. As Packardtaximan said, the 47 sender mounting is different as well as the ohms. If you need something different, KM Lifestyles may be able to make you a new sender with the correct 47 ohms which should be 100 at empty and 0 at full but with the 48 mount. 21st series senders are the straight resistance type while 22-23 series use bimetal heater type senders and operate quite differently.

I can say with absolute certainty your 47 tank options are very limited. Make that one fit, have your old one restored to almost like new condition by someone doing the RENU process or find a good used 47 tank. There are no other repros I am aware of and good used is almost extinct. Just as additional info, this 22-23 series repro tank is so new one poster who just recently completed a 49 had no other option than to heavily modify a different capacity Chevy tank which as of a couple of years ago was the closest he found to something that would fit.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 10:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
This is the first I've seen a 1948-1950 reproduction tank and glad to know it exists! The tank itself appears identical to that in my 1951 Henney-Packard other than the length of the filler and vent. I wonder if they put in the whistle. Too bad it's black as I do not believe the original was but not sure.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 14:00
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Siewe
See User information
I spoke with the vendor through the contact number on ebay. He specializes in Mopar parts and reproduces gas tanks for all models from Chrysler.
He told me that a client came in with two gas tanks to duplicate and paid a boatload of money to get them reproduced. One for a 1937 Packard and the other for a 1950. Since he had the molds for reproduction, he's decided to produce a few more.
Thanks for the leads. My car, somewhere in its seventy-five years on the road, backed up onto a rock and there's a huge dent at the bottom side of the tank. Still holds gas, but is causing suction problems when the gas falls below a quarter full.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 16:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the tank fits your 47 with no issues and is the same depth as the 20 gallon Clipper 2103/06 tank perhaps you could collect dimensions or take some photos of the sender and mount to gather the needed information on the differences.

If a plate to mount the original sender in the tank is something we can get already made then great and someone else would just need a number and vendor. If not, then with dimensions maybe the new owner could make one or even the tank guy or another vendor could make some. If that were the case it would open up more years the tank would fit which might persuade him to make more if this run is sold. I have a feeling it will sell once news of availability is more widespread. If the tank fits without too much issue in the 46-7 I believe the prewar Clippers could use the same setup. How much extra work would just depend on tank capacity.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 17:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I was wondering about pre and post-war Clipper tanks. I have one 2106 tank out. My 3 pre-war tanks are all still in the cars. I may get a chance to pull one of them (a 1941) next month. I have another 2106 tank which is also caved in, so I might need a tank should be I be unable to make one of my other ones work.

I had some experience messing with 22 and 23 series tanks, but that was almost 50 years ago. Damned near blew myself up before I caught my st000pidity, but that's another story. The tanks look identical, best as I can recall, the 21 and 22 series. It sounds like they're all but the same except for the gas gauge hole, which I remember. Seems that it shouldn't be much of a deal at all to make something from some 18 or 20 gauge steel, perhaps with a series of hole saws. How hard can it be???

I'll have to poke around my stash of stuff about this - if I remember to.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 19:06
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wat, if you have a chance to pull a smaller tank would you measure and post the depth and the length of the float arm on the smaller tank sender. If we can get that info it would help others who might be changing tank sizes with the repro and need to know differences to find or have a new sender made.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 19:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I'd have to go measure my '49 tank, but I think these are the larger 20 gal, 48-50. I had 17 gal or whatever is smaller in the deluxe and it had the side fill whistle spout, so that doesn't graft on, but could be fitted. I was looking for a rear fill when I decided to make custom, I did not use the old tank.
With a new tank, one could fit the gauge ring from the old tank if it's in decent shape. If I went to all that work, I'd put a modern float and gauge in.
If you're not a metal master, most radiator shops will repair/refit gas tanks if they're cleaned out. If you use Renu, make sure you get a good shop, check their work.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 19:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
The sixes had little tanks and the eights had bigger ones? I have flavors for all palates, so tell me what we're tasting, please.

Also, my next trip west is filling rapidly. I may have found a tractor which cannot be passed up, so I may lose a day chasing it down. We'll see. I'll dig into what I can.

Posted on: 2022/5/10 11:32
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved