Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1954 Clipper 327 Starter
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54ocmac
See User information
Good day! I’ve been searching the site for a thread that indicates the use of an Autolite starter in direct replacement of the Delco starter on a ‘54 Senior such as the convertible. This entry from 2019 was the closest to indicating that an Autolite could be used in place of the Delco, but the threaded seemed to end without confirmation of a P/N. I see in the Service Manual the callout in the 54th Series for and Autolite MCL6129, but is only listed in the column for 5400 not 5431. Can anyone clarify what Autolite starter P/N can be used on a ‘54 Convertible. Thank you!

Posted on: 2022/5/10 17:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Any 48-54 starter except the 41-50 Custom Eight gear-reduction jobbies will bolt right on and give good service. They will also make life much easier for your ignition switch as the solenoid draws only a fraction of the amps. Your car will not care if it is a Delco or Autolite

Posted on: 2022/5/10 17:11
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54ocmac
See User information
Good morning and thanks for the reply!

I reached out to Merritt and they say they have a rebuilt Autolite MCL-6003 w/ solenoid. So, I found a pic of that P/N here in the packardinfo site. The thread said it was off a 53 Clipper w/ 288 engine. It does not look the same as the Delco in that it does not appear to have the Bendix gear mechanism to engage the starter with the flywheel. Will this starter work on my convertible 359 engine with key start?

Thanks!!

Posted on: 2022/5/11 9:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It will work but it is not the proper starter for a 359.

Posted on: 2022/5/11 12:31
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54ocmac
See User information
Good afternoon!

If what is meant by “proper starter” is the Delco-Remy starter listed in the 54th Series specs, etc., I completely understand. However, this car has always suffered with not wanting to start when hot and the problem isn’t vapor lock. It has always seemed like the Delco starter (rebuilt) on the car doesn’t have the strength/torque to crank the engine when hot. I’ve read several threads in this website and other blogs for other car brands where heat soak is a problem for starters. It seems other Packard owners with the same issue have found that the Autolite starter gives a better result in helping alleviate this issue. I’m trying to keep the car as original as possible, but I’m weary of not driving it because I don’t want to be sitting someplace for a couple of hours while everything cools off so it will start OR calling AAA to come spin it with a 12v jump to get me moving again. If the Autolite will give me a better result, then I’m all for it!

Posted on: 2022/5/11 16:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes and that starter is probably far more robust than any of the others. The one in my 1954 Patrician has never failed me but also be sure you're using the proper gauge wire. These cars need 00 AWG or at least 0 AWG or else there is too much draw through the cable itself.

Posted on: 2022/5/11 19:47
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved