Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Berings for a 1935 1200 Rear axle
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
Looking for a little help locating bearings for the rear axle of my car. Rear axle is 4.69 rear end. I have the car at a service provider that specializes in rear axle work for trucks. He's attempting to locate the bearings which I understand are dual row ball bearings. Was wondering if anyone here would know a source for these. He Tried Max Merrit and I believe he tried Kanters also, so the obvious choices but apparently no luck so far as they are rather old, anyone aware of a source for these? Thanks!

Posted on: 2022/6/1 12:09
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print   

Re: Berings for a 1935 1200 Rear axle
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Bill, sounds to me like you've got some bad information, you should have the same rear axle assembly in your 1200 that I have in my 1100. If you've still got the stock, unmodified rear axle assembly they are not "dual row ball bearings" but, per axle, a pair of single row tapered roller bearings, mounted opposed to each other on opposite sides of the bearing flange. When I needed some a few years back they were active and common numbers readily available at the local bearing stores, I'd be surprised if they are not still so. Just pull one and it's corresponding race and get the numbers, same bearings used for quite a number of years on the Packard senior car axles, also used in rear axles by Chrysler, Hupp, Nash, Pierce-Arrow, Reo, and Studebaker cars and many makes of trucks.

And a note you might want to bring to the attention of your mechanic. On this type of rear axle assembly the rear axle shaft end play MUST be set on each axle shaft INDEPENDENTLY! Adjustment is made via adding/subtracting shims behind the inner bearing race on both shafts.

I'm checking Hollander, they almost certainly list the bearing numbers. EDIT, #s are 342 and 332, bearing and race.

See illustration in the parts list. And here's a photo.

Attach file:

jpg  Rear Wheel bearings 007 sm.jpg (178.42 KB)
177_6297aad391bf3.jpg 1500X1171 px

jpg  Axle bearing detail.jpg (175.89 KB)
177_6297abdb4f5dd.jpg 1066X1513 px

Posted on: 2022/6/1 13:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Berings for a 1935 1200 Rear axle
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
Thanks Owen, I think what I was saying was based on a misunderstanding on my part the folks I'm speaking to just have the diff and not the axles however I will pass these details along so they have them, Best

Posted on: 2022/6/6 9:33
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved