Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

TL System on a '55
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
The TL system on my ’55 isn’t working and I’m guessing that it is a solenoid issue. A while back I needed to replace the controller on the system, which I did with a new NOS for ‘56’s controller a few years back. Here’s what I have determine to date:

• Fuse from battery is fine
• I have 12 volts at the controller on the green wire
• When I supply 12 volts to either side of the motor it runs
• When I ground out the pink wire the motor runs
• When I ground out the yellow wire the motor does not work

What else could it be?

Posted on: 2022/6/3 19:02
 Top  Print 

Re: TL System on a
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you grounded the yellow wire at the control switch or anywhere before it goes thru the limit switch there is a possibility the limit switch is the item at fault.

If you need a solenoid here are Cole-Hersee replacement numbers. They are available from ebay vendors and maybe Napa. You will need to verify the orientation of your solenoid on the mounting bracket to get the part number with the proper battery terminal layout.

I don't remember where this 55 diagram showing the 56 switch installed came from to give credit but it is one of the better drawings.

Attach file:

jpg  Cole Hersee Pair TL solenoids.jpg (124.95 KB)
209_629aa9362f4b7.jpg 860X1300 px

jpg  56 unit on 55 car.jpg (130.48 KB)
209_629aac690486d.jpg 1920X925 px

Posted on: 2022/6/3 19:50
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: TL System on a '55
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
On the drawing, when it refers to up and down is it correct to assume they are referring to the front end of the car?

Posted on: 2022/6/4 14:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have always associated any direction given on TL writeups with the rear since that end is where the compensator driven short bars connect to raise or lower.

Posted on: 2022/6/4 14:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The two modern Cole-Hersee relays appear to be wired differently internally. Which is correct?

Posted on: 2022/6/4 17:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In most cases I believe it will be the 24046 but it depends on what is there now and how the solenoids and buss bars are currently mounted on the bracket. The BAT terminal needs to be on the same side as the long buss bar connected to power. That is why I posted both versions in case someone installed a different solenoid at some point and only one needed to be changed. Due to hole spacing there is not enough room to reverse orientation on just one of them if the pointed ends would need to wind up facing each other.

Posted on: 2022/6/4 17:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Howard thanks for your comment about the limit switch (LS). When I used an ohm meter initially it checked out OK. When I had problems determine if the issue was a solenoid everything came out OK too. I removed the bracket that held the LS and solenoids. Examining it I figured that the LS would occasionally stick on one side in the closed position. Tapping on the LS the contacts would open up..

I took the cover off the LS and lubed the shaft. I also filed the points on both sides and put the the LS back together.

It appears that everything is back in working order now.

Posted on: 2022/6/5 9:25
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved