Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New member hello, 1936 120B Business Coupe clutch
Just popping in
Just popping in

kingoftantallon
See User information
Good morning everyone,

I’ve recently inherited a mechanically original 120B Business Coupe from my father. This car has been in our family all my life (over 50 years) and many, many fond memories of shows, parades, weddings etc. The car has been parked for about 6 years with what my father described as a “seized clutch”. He went as far as ordering a replacement clutch, which I’ve found in the trunk of the car. Dad had dementia and lost the desire to complete the work, sadly I can’t get any additional information from him on the problems.

I am a decent home mechanic and have restored a 1974 MGB from the ground up, the Packard on the other hand I have little to no information on. There is probably a factory repair manual in his horde, but I have yet to find it.

Can anyone enlighten me if there is anything particularly different regarding the clutch on a 120b or Packards in general? Any thoughts or considerations appreciated.

Cheers

Posted on: 2022/6/28 8:26
 Top  Print 

Re: New member hello, 1936 120B Business Coupe clutch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
There is nothing unusual about the clutch. Due to storage the clutch plate is probably rusted to the pressure plate. The only unusual element is the Spring that holds the throw out bearing to the transmission. When disassembling it's kinda fussy .. that is all.

Posted on: 2022/6/28 10:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome. When you do get around to working on the car one thing you will probably notice very quickly is the components are twice as big and ten times as heavy as those in your MGB. 😋

Other than that, there is nothing too different about the basic clutch setup on the smaller Packards than was in any other comparable car of the era. A nice thing about the mass market Packards such as the 120 is once they had a good working design it usually stayed virtually unchanged for several years to follow. Many mechanical parts used in the 120 were interchangeable over various models even thru early postwar years. Others on site are much more versed in that model than I and will surely give any specific pointers or cautions if needed.

It would be kind of nice to know exactly what the symptoms were to understand your fathers "seized" comment. A frequent issue on sitting Packards is in colder or moist conditions, condensation can form on the flywheel and pressure plates. Water runs down and effectively glues the clutch disc facings to one or the other metal surfaces. Sometimes the disc can be broken free by releasing the clutch and putting the trans in gear then have friends try to rock the car or even trying to start the engine with clutch released but trans in gear. That procedure can be hard on the starter and ring gear so is not the best idea. Often neither works so it takes removal of the lower flywheel cover and blocking the clutch pedal in the disengaged position so you can use mechanical means such as a thin piece of steel or a long putty knife to reach up and pry the disc off the stuck surface.

For some reason Packard did not provide clutch info in the one 36 service manual we have on site but here is a bit from the 37 120 C book on how to access or remove the clutch.

Attach file:

jpg  120C.jpg (335.06 KB)
209_62bb152610277.jpg 1920X1342 px

Posted on: 2022/6/28 10:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

kingoftantallon
See User information
Thanks for the clutch info and repair manual attachment. I will be reaching out to a few of his club friends to see if they discussed what the situation was and why it was parked. Dad was a collector and not a mechanic, but had several mechanic buddie who must have advised him to buy a clutch kit. He had a plan, just ran out of time.

Posted on: 2022/6/28 13:46
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

kingoftantallon
See User information
And Yes I suspect the weight to be a bit more then the B! Here's a shot.

Attach file:

jpg  MGB (2).jpg (192.41 KB)
225623_62bb4d83662c1.jpg 1651X1058 px

Posted on: 2022/6/28 13:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day kingoftantallon,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '36 120B Business Coupe in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/6/28 17:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
One thing I did just learn…. Thanks Flack….The throw out bearing is not the same as 37 incase you need a new one. The output shaft cover in the 36 trans is thicker then 37.

Posted on: 2022/6/28 19:13
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

kingoftantallon
See User information
Thanks, I will register the car! I'll be back at it this evening and will get some pics of the ID plate.

Posted on: 2022/6/29 8:02
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

kingoftantallon
See User information
Also, I was under the impression that this was the "business coupe" body style, now not so sure on the difference.

I have the spare tire mounts in the front fenders, no rumble seat, a trunk you could haul a fridge in, and a fold down back rack for a travel chest.

Is this a sports or business model, or am I missing some other differentiators?

Thanks.../Shawn

Posted on: 2022/6/29 8:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Model 998 Business Coupe. The sport coupe has a rumbleseat and a small trunk.

Posted on: 2022/6/29 8:45
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved