Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 125

Ozstatman, kevinpackard, Don B, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How I removed running board rubber
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

KMcoldcars
See User information
Thank you to David Patla for suggesting an air chisel to remove the running board rubber.
One hour with the air chisel and 2 hours with my drill and a 3M paint removal stripping tool and the running board looked like this.
One more to go.

Attach file:

jpg  DSC_8785.JPG (196.58 KB)
222759_62c49eddaf2ab.jpg 1920X832 px

jpg  DSC_8784.JPG (159.98 KB)
222759_62c49ef716cec.jpg 1920X889 px

Posted on: 2022/7/5 15:29
1936 Packard 120 convertible sedan
1916 Ford Model T Coupelet
1962 Thunderbird
2000 Corvette convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: How I removed running board rubber
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Great Work, Keith. And to think I thought the only use for an air chisel was to vibrate a recalcitrant cylinder head loose from the block....

Posted on: 2022/7/5 21:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
Glad it worked for you, I did mine last year using the air chisel and it also worked well.

Posted on: 2022/7/6 20:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Stephen Templeton
See User information
That looks super clean!

Posted on: 2022/7/7 10:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

flackmaster wrote:
Great Work, Keith. And to think I thought the only use for an air chisel was to vibrate a recalcitrant cylinder head loose from the block....

Interesting. I have a head which has fused itself to . . . something. Anyway, it ain't coming off. I can try this one. Any details would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2022/7/10 12:36
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Definitely get details on air chisel use and placement. There have been some on the forum who used steel hand chisels or screwdrivers placed between the block and head to try and pry them apart. As I recall, in a couple of cases the head surfaces were gouged so badly there was not enough material that could safely be milled to get rid of the gouges and the heads had to be scrapped. Don't remember if the blocks had the same issue but consensus in the discussion was to always try other methods first to break them free. Lots of penetrating oil at the stud locations and modifying a plug to accept compressed air fittings to see if a blast of air in a few cylinders would break the head free of the studs. There was also a suggestion of filing notches in the end of very thin wall tubing and trying to work that down the studs to "saw" the corrosion free. If nothing was successful only then use hardwood or plastic wedges when prying.

Posted on: 2022/7/10 13:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
sorry if my comment gets us too far offtrack.
Once upon a time when I was less patient, I grabbed the air chisel (dullest one from under the workbench) and a really hard block of wood and went at the sides of a cast iron cylinder head that was going to come off whether it wanted to or not. Based on liberal amounts of "solvents" I could tell at least which studs were free. I think I recall a few wooden wedges being asked to help, but I believe it was the percussion that ultimately released the bond. Either that or the block saw me eyeing a sledgehammer and a torch....

Posted on: 2022/7/10 21:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Thanks. I need to strike fear into it then.

Posted on: 2022/7/11 5:03
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved