Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

Peter Packard, michael biegas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramtic Transmission Leak
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Hey everyone!

I just purchased a 1950 Super Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan. Going to need some work, but the car has a ton of potential.

One of the first things I noticed was a MASSIVE transmission fluid leak. I sort of assumed the gaskets were shot, but then I discovered a little hole on the bottom of the flywheel housing. Is this just a drain plug or did someone, for some reason, drill a hole in the housing?

Either way, would LOVE to be able to plug the hole. Any suggestions on where to find a plug? Max Merritt and Kanter don't have anything listed on their site for such an accessory. Any help is appreciated!

As a bonus, would love to find some (3 to be exact) window cranks and the fender skirts. Thanks, everyone!

Attach file:

jpg  20220710_150003.jpg (262.72 KB)
225648_62cc70b6002f7.jpg 1389X1041 px

jpg  20220709_155320.jpg (278.21 KB)
225648_62cc70c124eec.jpg 1821X1365 px

Posted on: 2022/7/11 13:51
 Top  Print 

Re: Ultramtic Transmission Leak
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is a drain hole and if a substantial amount of fluid is coming out there is a good chance it is one of three problems.

Most likely is the front transmission seal has a problem which is not uncommon particularly if the car has sat a long time without fluid circulating. If that is the case what little that was remaining on the pump shaft from the last time the car was driven could have dried. Suddenly being put back in service has been known to cause the old rubber in the seal to crack or the dry shaft can damage and burn the rubber in the few seconds time it takes for fluid to be pumped back up to moisten the seal. If the trans has never been rebuilt and still has the old original seal it is even more probable.

Another scenario would be if fluid was coming out of a loose converter drain plug or bolts holding the pump shaft to the converter had loosened. Neither issue is as likely as the front seal leaking but both have happened to others.

The other fluid that can drain out the hole is motor oil if the engine rear main seal has a problem. Also not very likely since the fluid being red would indicate it is transmission fluid. Though it can happen, it takes a serious failure for motor oil to come out in more than an occasional drop at a time.

Posted on: 2022/7/11 14:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just confirming, the hole is a deliberate factory feature generally known as a weep hole. Its purpose is to indicate by the presence of more than just a very occasional fluid drop that there is an internal leak, typically the trans front seal.

Posted on: 2022/7/11 17:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Joe where are you located? As long as "pretty good" condition is acceptable to you, there are many parts dealers that will have window cranks in stock from parts cars.

Posted on: 2022/7/11 17:11
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Thank you so much, everyone! This was incredibly helpful. I'm assuming that to replace the seal, the transmission would need to be dropped?

Also, I'm located in Greenville, NC!

Posted on: 2022/7/12 0:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Joe,

to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '50 Super Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/7/13 18:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, of course the transmission must be removed as the seal is round so needs to go over the input shaft.

Posted on: 2022/7/13 21:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2022/7/27 0:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved