Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 126

Roland Irle, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 400 Hardtop Carpet
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
I have one of those Scottish Heather and Dover White hardtops (some would call it pink and white), and the carpet is an aftermarket replacement. It is black and needs replacing again. My questions are: What carpet colors were availabe from the Packard factory to go with this exterior color combo? And was the original carpet loop pile, plush, or ....??? any suggestions as to a good source for originality?

Thanks,
Steve in Indiana

Posted on: 2022/7/22 8:13
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 400 Hardtop Carpet
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I believe the 55 white and pink (Sardonyx) 400's would come with off white carpet to match the off white paint and upholstery.

However, searching online, it seems that the pink/white 56 400's that had pink/black seats, all had black carpet to match the seats. I don't believe there was more than one carpet option for a given interior option. What interior does yours have?

Example:https://www.popularrestorations.com/Restorations/Restoration018.htm

Posted on: 2022/7/22 19:31
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting question. The parts book lists the carpets for 55 using different part numbers for those going with the various trim code numbers. Only one part number for all 56 carpets so they must have had another way to determine what to send for a particular set.

When Dwight sold carpet he mentioned 6 colors but don't think he sells carpet anymore. His was house carpet but I thought it matched the 56 pattern quite well and was a finished set. It looks very good in my car. Neal Porter only mentioned 5 colors when he reproduced the 56 pattern and only sold bulk. No idea what if any he has left but you might give him a call to see if he has what you need. As far as I know his would be the only absolutely correct 56 pattern available. Here is colors Dwight and Neal mentions and am also posting the sample card for carpet that was in my Caribbean with code 296. Car is painted Maltese Gray, Scottish Heather and Dover White.

If you want to do some tedious research there is a large collection of upholstery and carpet sample cards (374 of them) in the photo archive. They are not in any particular order so you would need to look thru all of them to find your options but the cards and the photo descriptions have set numbers on them.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=102 The 56 showroom color and upholstery book is also on site. While it shows upholstery options I didn't see a mention for carpet color.

Attach file:

jpg  Dwights carpet.jpg (45.40 KB)
209_62db449ea8db3.jpg 1308X344 px

jpg  carpet_Neal Porter.jpg (20.64 KB)
209_62db44c2bf612.jpg 773X118 px

jpg  56 Orig Carpet.jpg (443.99 KB)
209_62db44e70433c.jpg 1920X1476 px

Posted on: 2022/7/22 19:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Thank you all. This is a big help.

Steve

Posted on: 2022/7/28 4:30
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved