Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

Joe Krzan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Leather seat restoration
Home away from home
Home away from home

39Rollson
See User information
Does anyone know of an upholstery shop that can restore leather seats that are cracked , ripped , and missing some sections. I am assuming that some kind of backing would have to be used. I have a car that is a very nice preservation car except for the leather seats in the chauffeurs compartment and would like to keep it as a survivor if possible.

Posted on: 2022/7/22 21:16
1954 Cavalier (export model)sold

1941 Clipper

1939 120 Rollson all weather cabriolet

George
 Top  Print   

Re: Leather seat restoration
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
George, the four-generation auto (earlier carriage) upholstery shop est. 1897 who well knows Packards i might refer you to is on the wrong coast, but to preserve as much of the original leather as possible use jojoba oil. Trader Joe's has it, and it works better than Neatsfoot Oil, which is vile stuff, made from the shin bones and feet of cattle, talk about insult to injury.

Neat is the Old English word for cattle.

Many like the cracks, patina of old leather upholstery akin to the character lines in the face of a beautiful woman of a certain age. So only replace what has horse hair and springs poking out.

Never a fan of leather, always liked the optional whipcord available in immediate prewar Buick, Cad and Packard convertibles. Similar to gabardine, used in topcoats, uniforms, equestrian and other sportswear, wears like iron, much more comfortable, and humane, than leather.

You've got an interesting trio of Packards.

Saw a '35 Duesenberg originally fitted with leatherette, which is what they called an early version of the hide of the rare, seldom seen Nauga, first owned by an Indian maharajah. So if you go that route, tell the clipboard wielders your cars ordered by discerning Hindus.

Selling leather as a premium upholstery material (below link) ranks with Rolls-Royce's cagey advertising since their earliest days, recalling Lauren Pomeroy and others in the know long since dismissing R-R as "a triumph of craftsmanship over engineering" and "a bloody good confidence trick."

"Bridge of Weir" long a banner for the hides of cattle from England, Scotland, Ireland where barbed wire not used, hence fewer imperfections. Today, Bridge of Weir ballyhoos humane treatment and concern for these animals as or more sentient, intelligent, social as those many keep for pets, consider family members. Until they're murdered for burgers.

Then you had later R-Rs trumpeting "unborn calf hide" for the well-heeled Caligula set.

Jojoba oil is hands down the best stuff for leather. Your wife or squeeze (or both) might have some but then you'll have some 'splainin' to do.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/auto-leather-isn-t-all-it-s-cracked-up-to-be/ar-AAOUUDx

Posted on: 2022/7/23 6:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39Rollson
See User information
I also like the patina of cracks but unfortunately I have some serious splits and am missing a sizable chunk of the leather. Am hoping to repair the splits and missing piece and keep the cracks and patina.

Posted on: 2022/7/23 10:01
1954 Cavalier (export model)sold

1941 Clipper

1939 120 Rollson all weather cabriolet

George
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Depends what you're wanting. Drive it somewhere or take seat out and/or ship.
Give it a thorough cleaning with a leather/upholstery cleaner before you do anything and can better check the condition of what's left. May not be worth saving from the sound of things. I don't think that degree of originality adds any value over do nothing. Mostly emotional.
They sell lots of repair and rejuvenation kits for this but I've not had much luck. Other brands sites have the same issue and Leatherique cleaner and rejuvenator comes highly recommended by some folks with this problem. But passing on hearsay, no experience here.
I try to keep it clean and conditioned rather than let it go, but since it's an open seat, it's well weathered.
Since there's a large piece missing, they'll have to glue in a new patch which won't match anyway. Have to dye or spray the whole seat. From the sound of things, best solution is bite the bullet and have it recovered and that opens more local options. I think you'll be more satisfied in the end with a better appearing car. I've bought leather from Keelen's. Hirsch has too. Shops can buy anything.
Or throw a blanket or padded seat cover over it as is and forget it.
Probably best to hit the yellow pages in your area and see if any detail service providers. You're asking for a miracle really - hear it from a few upholstery or detail shops.

Posted on: 2022/7/23 13:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved