Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 95

r1lark, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 11 »

Re: Resurrecting my 56’ Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You don't need to worry about it in a car that new. The primary discussion was about prewar vehicles (especially straight-8 engines) and does not apply to Ultramatic cars. To answer your specific question, no, it does not have overdrive and doesn't need it.

Posted on: 2022/8/4 15:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information

Posted on: 2022/8/4 16:08
Riki
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Marvin
See User information
Tired of seeing my exhaust sitting on my pool table and realizing that August isn’t getting cooler, I decided to jack up my baby and attempt to install at least the left side of the dual exhaust. After many trips back and forth to various tool boxes, trying to find the right socket or wrench to get the one bolt out I decided to read the manuals. Quite brief on the subject of exhaust. Thought about using a Sawzall, but the question is how to reinstall. I was considering removing the exhaust manifold but thought better to ask on the forum. So, I took a few pictures to show my dilemma and while adding yellow circles to the photo, another problem became extremely apparent. My manifold is cracked!
Not very happy right now, wondering where I will locate a left side exhaust manifold.
The cat isn’t talking.

Attach file:

jpg  header crack.jpg (386.08 KB)
225242_62efd106c7638.jpg 1600X1600 px

Posted on: 2022/8/7 9:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It appears that you’ll have to remove the manifold anyway as it’s broken but typically you don’t need to when changing the exhaust. Of course, I am no expert on the V8 models so someone here may have additional details.

Posted on: 2022/8/7 12:15
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Marvin
See User information
In trying to remove the manifold bolts I thought if the fender wasn’t here how easy this would be. Only removed 1 bolt so far. I will need to examine the starter and brakes as well as align the exhaust gasket and manifold to reinstall. Examining the wheel well it appears to be an inner fender, but I do not see a seam up top. Is the fender two pieces and how hard is it to remove. Again, the manual didn’t help. Does anyone have an article or diagram of the left front side?

Posted on: 2022/8/7 14:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Fender off.
Lot easier.

Those manifolds are around..

Those are all 9/16ths.

3/8-16 thread.

1 bolt on cowl.

Bolts on pan.

The grill needs to come off.

2 bolts up in fender for grill

Then bolts on frame. Those are 1/2inch socket.

Posted on: 2022/8/7 16:00
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The outer and inner fender are one piece. A lot of bolts and screws involved in removing the fender. Bolts to upper and lower cowl, grille, radiator splashpanels, radiator cradle, screws to wiring junction block and any relays or other electrical etc on the left fender. Except for the electrical stuff the rest is covered in SM section 10: fenders and sheetmetal.

Watch out for the grille. If there is anything that could break, the chrome upper bar and particularly corners that overlap the side would be the place because in most cases there is not enough slop to just remove the bolts and slide the fender out from under the corner. Also look out for any spacers -- or even add some when going back together -- between the bolt tabs on the pot metal corner and the fender sheetmetal. If there is a gap, trying to tighten the bolts and bring the gap down will most likely just break the tab off..

Posted on: 2022/8/7 16:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Marvin
See User information
Finally able to move the fender enough to access the manifold bolts. Glad I did it because the bolts had a small tab bent over the bolt head in two places. This wasn’t too apparent when I was staring up at the middle and rear flange, but very apparent when I was able to clearly see the front manifold flange to cylinder head. Bending these little suckers back made it a lot easier. Once the manifold was loose, the manifold heat valve dropped to the driveway in pieces. When I read page 28 of Fuel & Exhaust in the manual, it speaks of a crossover pipe. Didn’t see one; but I could have missed it. Did note several more wires with no insulation in places. Definitely will be re-wiring. My plan is to wire one circuit at a time then wrap. Also noted the antenna had a black spacer below the chrome cap. Now I have 3 pieces in a Ziploc. Now to locate a manifold, heat valve, and gaskets. But it is off. 27 years sitting did not do any favors to her.

Attach file:

jpg  20220828_144002.jpg (289.28 KB)
225242_630bea18da4b7.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  20220828_143944.jpg (293.60 KB)
225242_630bea36c8259.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  20220828_140138.jpg (384.18 KB)
225242_630bea47988da.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/8/28 17:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Single exhaust cars had a cross over pipe that went over to the right side exhaust sort of under the engine as well as the crossover passage in the intake manifold. Dual exhaust cars did not have the crossover pipe.

Posted on: 2022/8/28 17:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Marvin
See User information
Thanks for the knowledge. It was 92 degrees, and all that chrome was blinding, thought I missed it.

Posted on: 2022/8/28 17:32
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved