Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 136

BigKev, TxGoat, acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953 327 Manifold Vacuum Tap Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
As you can see in the attached pictures: My engine has a two piece tap coming off the manifold for the vacuum link. I suspect that the small pipe thread opening is for the line to the fuel pump vacuum chamber and then on to the wiper motor. What is the large aluminum fitting for? It houses a reed valve that allows air to enter but not exit so I assume it is for a vacuum canister or something so that the line cannot bleed down.
Thanks for your input.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Vacuum Tap 1.JPG (185.16 KB)
225215_62efd648494cc.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  Vacuum Tap 2.JPG (212.37 KB)
225215_62efd657c117b.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  Vacuum Tap 3.JPG (161.25 KB)
225215_62efd66d635a1.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/8/7 10:13
 Top  Print 

Re: 1953 327 Manifold Vacuum Tap Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
That goes to the vacuum reservoir tank inside the fender, which then goes to the power brakes. That way you still have a few vacuum-assisted applications of the brakes even if you lose engine power.

What did you paint the manifold with? Intriguing...

Posted on: 2022/8/7 10:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Thanks for the confirmation. I suspected as much. Nice to know for sure, one more mystery checked off!
To tell you the whole story is to admit that sometime in the 50's this motor was pulled from a '53 and placed into my '37 120C. So I will be blocking off that tap as it has no power brakes. The transition was never completed and I do not think the motor was ever run in the car. The car was not licensed past 1959 and remained in dry storage. I had to tub the firewall slightly to clear the rear of the block better, and move the rad deeper into the grill shell to allow fan clearance. I expect that the lower rad hose will be a head scratcher to plumb but there are ways.
Upon tear down it shows as a very low mileage engine. No machining will need doing and rings and valve springs will complete the rebuild along with a gasket kit. Oh, and I am putting in all new hydraulic lifters too. The 9 mains is a big step up from the stock 282 CI in the 120, and the extra 60 HP will be a nice bonus too. And it is still a Packard, neat! The boys back then even found a set of coil springs to have her sit level so that is also addressed. I like that it is true to those who came before me. I just need to do a few tweaks to get her over the finish line.
The manifold is powder coated by a firm here in my town of Cambridge Ontario with ceramic. I wanted the intake to match the engine and the exhaust to be black. I think it will look very nice when assembled, they are such a large part of the passenger side engine detail.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2022/8/7 11:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It should aim upward too, not too the side where it would heat unevenly.

Posted on: 2022/8/7 12:12
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved