Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Front floor mat/carpet
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I had a 22nd series Eight, and the front floor was all rubber matting, not a mix like on this 23rd series deluxe eight.

This was not uncommon - I also had a 1957 Olds 88 which had rubber front floor.

Posted on: 2022/8/14 16:17
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Wheelhorse76
See User information
Soooooo anyone have a front floor covering for sale ? Of any sort ?

Posted on: 2022/8/18 21:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Old memory from teenage years, way too long ago.

A friend and I put carpet in the front of his 57 Chevy (leftover household carpet), it wasn't too difficult.

Having watched a shop put carpet in my car around that time, I think auto carpet was in a roll about 3 feet wide.

We laid the sheet of carpet in my friend's car, had to cut a horizontal (side to side) cut in the carpet around the transmission hump where the floor began to slope upwards. We made a vertical (front to back cut) between the horizontal cut and the top edge of the carpet. Those 2 cuts allowed the carpet to bent up the slope and fold correctly.

At the upholstery shop when my car was done, they used a heavy sewing machine to sew a vinyl material around the edges of the carpet. Being kids we didn't have a sewing machine, so we used strips of an iron on clothing patch to cover the rough edges of the carpet. Been a long time but it looked pretty good.

Our carpet used was heavy, you really want a rather lightweight carpet. When the auto shop did my car, they actually used small nails hidden in the carpet and nailed into the metal floor of the car to keep a few spots tucked tightly.

Posted on: 2022/8/19 7:54
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Wheelhorse76
See User information
latest thing I've heard is using a heat gun and a body dollie to help form the nylon around the contours . now I did look again at mine and there is a piece of vinyl attached to the firewall and 2 rows of sewing holes where I assume carpet may had been but I thought the 22nd cars had rubber on the front ?

Posted on: 2022/8/19 22:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Quote:

Wheelhorse76 wrote:
latest thing I've heard is using a heat gun and a body dollie to help form the nylon around the contours . now I did look again at mine and there is a piece of vinyl attached to the firewall and 2 rows of sewing holes where I assume carpet may had been but I thought the 22nd cars had rubber on the front ?

Mine in teenage years (59-60) (Dad's) was a 23rd series, originally all rubber flooring in poor shape replaced by black carpet, but always my interest to watch and learn.

Double row of stitching on binding, the binding was placed upside down on top of carpet, a row of stitching to hold, folded around the edge of the carpet and stitched a second time.

Posted on: 2022/8/20 7:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information

Posted on: 2022/8/20 12:44
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved