Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1928 Horn Button -wiring issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I have removed the horn button cover from my 1928 steering wheel. I see one wire I think goes to the bottom of the steering wheel shaft where the light switch steering gear cover is located.

I do not get any continuity between the horn button when depressed and the horn terminal (#9). (According to the manual, the horn button goes to ground and makes the horn activate)

How easy is it to replace the wire for the horn button?

Thanks,
Gar

Posted on: 2022/8/20 11:50
 Top  Print 

Re: 1928 Horn Button -wiring issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
If you can see how to remove it, you can replace it with any stranded wire of the same thickness. Probably like 14AWG.

As for physically replacing the wire, I don't know. Are you sure the wire is the issue? I would expect the wire shorting to ground to be much more likely than losing continuity.

Tip: if you need only a short length of 12 or 14 AWG wire, go to an electrical store and ask for a custom cut of [length] of [12 or 14] gauge stranded wire. Then you pay only for what they give you, not a 25ft roll from the auto parts store.

Posted on: 2022/8/20 12:54
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Per the wiring schematic the horn is always powered and by pushing the horn button it completes the circuit and makes the horn activate.

Horn is good as I can power it up and manually ground it and it wooorrrks loudly.

Posted on: 2022/8/20 15:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Gar

If you mean that there is no continuity between the horn wire at the wheel and the #9 terminal on the lighting switch, then the wire is bad. It is not terribly hard to replace. The wire runs down the central tube in the steering column. You will need to remove the lighting switch cover. It might be best to attach a small wire or cord to the old wire as you pull it thru from either the wheel end or the switch end so that you can use it to pull the new wire thru.

Good luck,

Jim

Posted on: 2022/9/1 12:59
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved