Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 162

Packard Don, Jack Vines, BigKev, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1931 826 DL51 carb
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fred
See User information
Carb seems overly rich at low speed/idle.Previous owner (deceased) must have worked on it as there was a mixture screw assy in glove box. Does this use an enricher like on SU carbs? Plugs and tail pipe sooty and smells rich. Bought new plugs today just because. Also would like a replacement inlet fitting. Looks like someone tried to hold it with pliers and carb side is no longer round . Was leaking but found a square ring that seals it.

Posted on: 2022/8/21 17:53
 Top  Print 

Re: 1931 826 DL51 carb
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
There should be a T-handle adjustment fitting on the bottom of the carburetor. That adjusts the idle mixture. Fully warmed up, turn the T-handle clockwise (looking from underneath the carburetor upward) till it starts to miss, then counterclockwise until its running smooth.

The carb does have an accelerator pump. Keep in mind, the rich nature of your carb might be a function of float level too, which should be checked.

Consider posting a picture of it.

Posted on: 2022/8/22 14:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Hi,

Is it original or one of the reproductions as I have the same on my 733 which I replaced on mine as the original had deteriorated.

Gene

Posted on: 2022/8/23 9:56
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fred
See User information
My carb is original. How does the choke work? Could problem be there? Car starts easily, couple of rr,rrs and its away hot or cold. Looks like T turn has been changed as there is one in glove box. Previous owner has passed so I can't ask.
Car is original and unmolested. I am 3rd caregiver. Is licensed and I want to drive it without gassing everyone.

Posted on: 2022/8/23 23:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
What exactly has replaced the T-handle adjuster? What is there now?

Posted on: 2022/8/24 8:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
The T-handle is what you should see coming out of the bottom.

https://pac-carbs.com/collections/carburetors-1/products/metering-valve-complete

Posted on: 2022/8/24 8:37
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

GaryinSC
See User information
I suggest you send it to Scott at Pac-Carbs and have him go over it. He is a great guy and will replace the necessary parts and make it like new. He also test runs it on his engine to make sure it is ready to go. I have one of his new reproduction 51's on my 32 and it is a work of art and the car runs like new.

Attach file:

jpg  Ceramic coating manifold.jpg (296.76 KB)
165673_6306362a62fde.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/8/24 9:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
One last thought is to make sure the butterfly flaps that move the metering jet up and down are working, and not stuck. My carb had sat for many years and were stuck in position and not able to move the metering jet. Once I got things lubricated and working as they should, everything ran much better.

The DL 51 is a very interesting design. Only used about 4 years on premium brands (Packard, Graham, Cadillac). Every car show flea market I go to I hope to find a big cardboard box full of them.

Posted on: 2022/8/24 10:22
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fred
See User information
The T turn was replaced (I think) as there is another one complete with gland nut with new packing in it in glove box. Is there a good parts drawing somewhere. I am trying to get my head around its internals. What I would like is the banjo fitting between the fuel line and carb. It is slightly squashed and the SAE taper is beat up. Not leaking now but it was. I am new to this game and have no contacts for parts or service. How does the choke work?

Posted on: 2022/8/25 15:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
I believe the choke works by it cracking open the throttle plate a tad, then permitting a dedicated port to allow raw gasoline to enter the venturi. It is not like an SU where the jets drop, and there exists a puddle of gasoline to achieve a rich mixture.

PM me your email and I'll send some files that I've collected along the way

Posted on: 2022/8/25 16:37
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved