Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard shopping, what do you think of this car?
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Hi all,

Been looking at picking up another Packard, this time one that actually runs/drives/stops/looks properly so that I can park it at my house that is controlled by an HOA that pretty much doesn't allow you to work on cars in your driveway, and I don't have a garage (though obviously I'll keep the car covered). Was looking at 51-54's but there's hardly any for sale... nearest ones are like a 10h round trip.

Anyway, I've checked out a few and I'm leaning towards this one. Mainly because it's the only one that seems to run and drive properly. As just stated, that's a huge priority. I figured I would post here to see if anyone has any thoughts on the car, and importantly, thoughts on what price I should offer to the seller.

A photo album with captions is included here, I recommend reading from bottom to top, as all the close-ups are near the top:https://imgur.com/a/ZU44U9t

General overview:
Pros:
- Low mileage (believed under 40k)
- Engine sounds good
- Transmission shifts smooth
- Brakes just redone (including power brake rebuilt)
- Radiator replaced (original included)
- Water pump rebuilt
- Carb rebuilt
- Heater core recored

Neutral:
- No TL ride

Cons:
- Many rust holes in the floor pan
- Headliner and carpet needs replaced
- Front door cards water damaged
- Seats have significant surface wear
- Paint has several rusty areas
- Various trim missing or loose (after reinstallation from last paint job), horn ring is broken
- Minor exhaust leaks
- Fuel/temp gauges not working, odometer not working, shift needle offset a good amount
- Fuel cell installed in trunk floor instead of proper aftermarket tank

History of the car:
Purch. new by PA state rep, traded in in 56, owned by same family until sold in estate sale (this family gave it its most recent paint job, and installed the fuel cell in the trunk). Purchased by a guy who did nothing with it for a year, then sold to current owner several years ago. Selling because he has other vehicle projects and he's fixed up this one. Test drive I did not actually drive it because it was never registered nor insured, but no title issues. When I got in the passenger side and shut the door, a good amount of rust flakes fell from the headliner onto me. Car seemed to drive fine just a bit noisy from exhaust leak. Brakes seemed to work great, and it has power brakes. There were two axles in the trunk. Seems the previous owners may have replaced them for unknown reasons.

So I think it seems like a "good buy", (at least in that it meets my basic requirements) only real question is, what should I offer given the current state of the Packard market?

Also I think he's a bit desperate to sell it, he's had it posted at least since June with 3-4 Facebook posts up. Apparently he's barely gotten any attention.

Posted on: 2022/8/28 21:17
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard shopping, what do you think of this car?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Does appear the mice have been into it.... But that is pretty common on old cars.

Posted on: 2022/8/28 22:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I can't help with value but I think I would steer clear of one with such obvious mouse infestation. Another member bought a 1954 Clipper hardtop with the problem and found that he had to replace the entire header in the roof as there was nothing left of the steel.

Posted on: 2022/8/28 22:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Also when we were pulling back into his driveway (reduced speed)the oil light was flickering on some. He mentioned that as being normal, what do you think?

Posted on: 2022/8/29 5:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Many observations. Pop riveted replacement rocker panel on the right. All the paint worn off the steering wheel--MUCH more than 40K miles. General decrepitude also indicates much more than 40K. The amount of floor rust points to problems with the stringers underneath. Fender skirt mounts are gone. This is the first Clipper Custom I've ever seen that did not have Torsion Level; I'd thought it was standard. The unknown item in hand is the transmission oil cooler. Perhaps it has been replaced.

I fear that this will be a too long and depressing journey to bring it up to a livable standard. What is the price?

Posted on: 2022/8/29 6:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thank you everyone for your thoughts so far.

On the transmission oil cooler: "I couldn't tell what this was for so I bypassed it when I replaced the radiator."

The guy seemed mechanically inclined but knew very little about Packards specifically. One oddity is he tore the carpet out (due to degradation/moisture of course) but instead of lifting out the rear seat bottom, just cut it in front of the rear seat.

Yeah I had a hard time mentally matching up the low milage reading and door latch wear with the degraded interior. It seems to have been parked outside for quite a while. The cardboard behind the front door cards is much more degraded in the front than it appears, similar to my current project that I belive was parked outside 2-3 decades. Likewise I think the floor pan rust is similar overall, though I don't know exactly with mine because I left the carpet in.

Asking 7200. Doubt he would take less than 6000.

P.S. "point" on here has a 55 Custom with a manual transmission and no TL, parked in his garage. I can only imagine it was a special order.

P.P.S. What are stringers?

Posted on: 2022/8/29 9:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Stringers would be the under-floor stiffeners, body mountings etc...

Posted on: 2022/8/29 10:44
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Short answer from two thousand miles away - no; from your description, I wouldn't want that car as a gift.

Sixty years in the hobby has taught me to spend the money to pay an expert to evaluate a west-of-the-Rockies car and have it shipped east. Living out here, the cars are just so much less roached out than eastern cars.

The other factor is late Packards haven't appreciated in value to the point one can't afford a better starting point.

Opinions are worth what you paid for it, your money, your decision, your car to live with.

jack vines

Posted on: 2022/8/29 11:07
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks Jack. Wise advice I think...

I am trying to find something pretty nice. Here's the Facebook post, from photos and description it comes off "a little different" than what I saw in person, of course.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/735863967696710/

Also Ross where do you see the pop rivets? I'm completely missing that.

Posted on: 2022/8/29 11:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That would be the right front floor with the door open shot.

Posted on: 2022/8/29 11:42
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved