Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 153

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1931 826 DL51 carb
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Stephen Templeton
See User information
I second the suggestion of calling Scott Henningsen. at pac-carbs.com in Salinas, CA. He recently completely rebuilt my DL 51. He also commented that it is quite common to see these carbs modified over the years. Mine was a hodgepodge mixture of Cadillac and Packard DL51 parts. If your mixture T screw has been messed with, there may be other alterations as well.

Can you post a photo of your carb?

Posted on: 2022/8/26 8:31
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fred
See User information
Well, I had the old girl out for a spin . I looked at the T turn and it was fully closed. Turned it out a turn and a half and seemed to run better. Checked compression and it was 75 across.
Went to a little show and shine in the park down the hill from me and was a hit. The mayor got to have his photo taken in the drivers seat.Should be in the local paper shortly.
The quest continues.

Posted on: 2022/9/1 12:43
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Stephen Templeton
See User information
It seems that mixture screws in some carburetors only have a slight effect on the engine; however, the T mixture screw in the Detroit Lubricator Model 51 can really affect how well the engine runs- seems to have a significant impact.

Posted on: 2022/9/1 14:59
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fred
See User information
Well, I sent the carb to Jeff at The Old Carb Doctor. He found a couple issues and dealt with them. Got a gas tank from a member that was in very nice condition. Got it running today and is much better. No big clouds of black smoke. Is a tad boggy on acceleration but I will play with that. Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Posted on: 2023/3/9 18:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
I am curious as to what issues were found. Would you mind elaborating?

I had the same problem with my DL51 and one issue was the fingers on the replacement vanes were too long so they would jam and the metering head would get stuck partly open. Thus when the car was at idle. it ran rich and smelly. Same symptoms as yours.

Posted on: 2023/5/7 14:41
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fred
See User information
Vanes were stuck, T turn was stuck, probably to do with the vanes. Seems to be ok now. Somehow managed to put a quart of water in the tank. That was fun.
Went out today and seems fine. Just have to keep an eye on the sediment bowl.
Now to sort out charging.

Posted on: 2023/5/21 20:49
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved