Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 97 98 99 (100) 101 102 103 ... 145 »

Re: Stewart
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Some time ago I stumbled across an eBay listing for trunk weather stripping for a Buick or Olds that had the exact same shape and measurement as the Packard. It was about $90 less than Steel Rubber.
Of course, I am looking for it now and it is nowhere to be found.

Attach file:

jpg  cut away.jpg (38.48 KB)
5209_631f49139cc31.jpg 600X600 px

Posted on: 2022/9/12 9:59
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
gasket fit my windshield fine. it just wasn't wide enough to fit in the opening and capture the glass at the same time. it would either sit on the glass or sit on the lip of the metal...but not both correctly. the second gasket was a bit better, but not perfect and i was tired of jacking with them...so i siliconed it all up.

basically one of two thoughts...either the gasket wasn't right....or the opening in the car grew by itself magically...top to bottom. the window would sit on the bottom lip of the metal fine, but in doing so the top lip was not captured by the gasket. the gasket wasn't thick enough...plain and simple. garbage, but i made it work.

Posted on: 2022/9/12 14:00
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
RL Carriers just delivered my new windshield this evening.

Does anyone here have an original windshield setting around? I am curious about the measurement of the widest part of the glass from the top to the bottom.

Someone here had a post in the past about a "new" windshield that they received was too narrow for the gasket and opening. I think they had to weld more metal into the frame to make it work. I am just hoping I don't have the problem.
My new windshield measures 18 5/8 (top to bottom)

Attach file:

jpg  20220916_181446_resized.jpg (167.99 KB)
5209_632509932d997.jpg 954X2016 px

Posted on: 2022/9/16 18:41
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have a nice original on its way to my Oregon shop and which, I hope, will arrive in one piece. I’d no one has come forward by then with the information, I will be happy to measure it.

Posted on: 2022/9/16 19:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Almost did weld in new metal to make my back glass fit… and might have to when it goes flying out when I finally get to drive the car one day.

Quote:

Stewart Ballard wrote:
RL Carriers just delivered my new windshield this evening.

Does anyone here have an original windshield setting around? I am curious about the measurement of the widest part of the glass from the top to the bottom.

Someone here had a post in the past about a "new" windshield that they received was too narrow for the gasket and opening. I think they had to weld more metal into the frame to make it work. I am just hoping I don't have the problem.
My new windshield measures 18 5/8 (top to bottom)

Posted on: 2022/9/16 20:54
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Check it with steeles gasket.

The gasket was way large

My repo is already separating

Posted on: 2022/9/16 21:06
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I don't have the front gasket yet.
I sort of blew my budget for September. It will be next month before I order that piece of the puzzle.

I have until Oct 5 to return the windshield if there is a problem.

I figure it would be easier to get the gasket fixed than it would be to get the glass fixed. That is why I am asking for the height measurement of the glass.

Posted on: 2022/9/17 6:53
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
My repro is 18-1/4 center of window.

Not sure when I will get front windshield out of my parts car.

Yours should fit better than mine.

I bought my glass back in 2000.

Posted on: 2022/9/17 7:12
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I can measure from the bottom to top of the weatherstripping on mine but I doubt that will help much. I'm planning on taking the glass out maybe next summer.

Thanks for the info on the gold pieces. I'm going to try out using a gold paint with a clear coat on it for my gold. Will be doing any necessary painting next summer.

Posted on: 2022/9/17 7:28
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Mike Dulinski says the original windshield is 18 1/2" tall. I should not have any problems as long as the gasket fits.
Have had several people contact me about where I got the new glass. I gave them the name of the company but I got the last one they had in stock. I have no idea if they are going to restock or who supplies them.

Posted on: 2022/9/19 19:54
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 97 98 99 (100) 101 102 103 ... 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved