Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Help identifying a 3spd transmission
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
You don't say what type of 75-90 is in it now. Gear oils with slip additives such as would be used in a differential are detrimental in a standard shift synchronized transmission as the slip additives defeat the action of the synchronizers.
Also the heavier oils will help retard gear spin which can benefit shifting.
When in doubt you can't go wrong by using the lubricant Packard recommended.

Absolutely...I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, I know it has the incorrect fluid in it so I will swap that out first and see if it cures the ills. Its the simplest place to start. Thanks for the advice!

Posted on: 2022/9/30 15:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
90W will be just fine, but you will want GL-1 rating (NAPA has it) for the synchronizers to be more effective.

Third gear, in any event, is 1 to 1 so the only way to get your revs down would be a different rear.

Posted on: 2022/9/30 15:47
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

GaryinSC
See User information
I don't think you will find any 160 gear oil today, but you can buy Sta Lube 140 at NAPA. It is good for yellow metals which you likely have in that gearbox. Down shifting from 3rd to 2nd requires a double clutch in my 32, which has a 4 speed but still used like a 3 speed. I always have to double clutch on the up shift until it warms up a bit too, then it is good with single shift thereafter. No additives needed. You really have to learn how to drive old transmissions they will always tell you when you do something wrong.

Posted on: 2022/9/30 18:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

2258019 wrote:....I'd like to get an idea as to what the gearing was like and if there were any alternatives, but I need a place to start. To be honest, I'd really like to get more gears in it as it currently spins 5000rpm at 60mph.......I have a similar thread on a Chevrolet truck forum trying to identify the rear end. Near as I can tell, its from a 1947-1954 Chevrolet "Stovebolt" pickup truck.....

G'day 2258019 to PackardInfo. Usually I invite new Forum Members, if they haven't already done so, to include their Packard/s in the Packard Vehicle Registry. But, seeing the only thing Packard in your car is the transmission there's really not enough there to qualify as a Packard automobile.

Concerning, turning 5,000rpm at 60mph this is most likely to be a function of the ratio in your Chevy truck's rear end which is likely to have a stump puller ratio because it is from a truck. In top(3rd) gear, the Packard trans should be a 1:1 ratio, therefore not impacting the revs required to get your car down the road.

Little sideways shift, speaking of Packard trans in non-Packards, I had a Packard trans in my dragster back in the late 60's mated to a 289 Ford V8 and Ford Customline "Ute" rear end with 4.1:1 gears. Only ran 2nd and top in the trans, with a best ET of 10.37secs @ 137mph in the quarter.

Attach file:

jpg  Valkyrie in backyard 15 Stewart St Eastwood.JPG (391.36 KB)
226_63378cca6fd10.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  Valkyrie at Castlereagh Mal Harris holding socket bar.JPG (275.22 KB)
226_63378ea22167d.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2022/9/30 19:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Ah Ha...I can see that you were once young Mal...How about that! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/9/30 20:51
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I appreciate all the kind words and stories folks.

I'm sorry to say the truck forum (where I went for axle information) appears to have blocked/banned me because I am posting about a truck rear end...in a car.

Some people are strangely uptight about things. I'd have thought they'd just be happy to have friends, but...

I'd like to thank you all for being so welcoming and informative. I will definitely get the fluid swapped out (probably a spring-thing at this point). I'll have to do a lot of homework over the winter to see if I can stick a 4/5spd behind it. I'd just like to get some more gear in it to calm the revs down at higher speeds. Being able to travel on the highway would be a real plus.

Unfortunately, with the truck forum being prissy, I'm not sure how likely it is I'll find another ring gear for the back end. I really didn't want to have to hang another axle under it, but it may come to that.

I won't have another update for a while as progress will be slow.

Earlier, someone mentioned that the Packard transmission should be expected to leak. How true is this? Is sealing it with modern silicone gasket makers a bad thing?

Posted on: 2022/9/30 21:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Again, even a "modern" 4- or 5-speed unit will have a 1:1 or perhaps a slight overdrive for top gear. It won't help much with your "too many RPM's at highway speed" issue.

In any case, putting that 4- or 5-speed will be a lot of work, and take away from what your Dad did.

Maybe you want to talk to a Vintage Chevrolet (non-truck) forum. They seem to be a bit more welcoming and also knowledgeable.

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/395256/all/36-high-speed-diff.html

Posted on: 2022/9/30 22:29
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Yes...While the concept of a 4spd or 5spd with an overdrive is enticing...I'm not sure it would even fit, much less be user friendly to use/install.

Posted on: 2022/9/30 22:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ernie Vitucci wrote:Ah Ha...I can see that you were once young Mal...How about that! Ernie in Arizona

Yes, those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end.

Posted on: 2022/10/1 0:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My friend Jessica, Mary Hopkin’s daughter, will be amused when I tell her that her mother’s song was quoted on a car forum!

Posted on: 2022/10/1 1:38
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved