Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

DavidM, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 Horn Tone Too High
Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
My horns seem to be way too high pitched. I haven't been able to get my "Lo" horn tone to adjust down. They don't sound like a big, old car. Is this how they sound? What can I do?

Posted on: 2022/10/19 13:48
 Top  Print 

Re: 1951 Horn Tone Too High
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As far as I know there is only one adjustment point per horn and that is covered in the service manual. If one of the horns has been swapped out and instead of the hi and lo pair they are now both the same pitch then that would be an issue that could prevent adjustment. Running a 6v horn on 12v could also be an issue. Although unlikely, I have also heard reports of insect nests built way up in the horn air chamber changing the pitch so might be worth checking for something along that line.

Here is the horn info from the SMs. I threw the 55-6 bit in because the photo is better.

Attach file:

jpg  51-4.jpg (298.20 KB)
209_63504ab594f2a.jpg 1420X1450 px

jpg  55-6.jpg (178.68 KB)
209_63504abfb0e78.jpg 1198X1446 px

Posted on: 2022/10/19 14:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I doubt this would be the issue but you may want to go ahead and check that they are receiving the correct voltage, since they go thru a relay.

Posted on: 2022/10/19 21:39
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Without some sort of sound analyzer no way to tell what you're hearing.
Like most things 70+ years old, they're likely in disrepair/malfunctioning/aged/corroded. I don't know what the expected life for these is, but suspected it's passed.
You have to pull them off and bench test to determine if problem is in the horn or the car.
I suspect wiring might be deteriorating and causing loss of power but yes, critters get in and block the air passages too.
Some of these can be easily repaired and some that are riveted pot metal are more challenging. I opted for a newer available set(plastic) for the Cad, when it was impossible to find a good original set.
The 6V horns are pretty stout sounding compared to 12Vs.

Posted on: 2022/10/20 8:04
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved