Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 103

DM37, 54packpac, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954 speedometer sending unit advice needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I am just finishing up a restoration on a 1954 convertible with the 359 and ultramatic (not gear start).
I took it out for its first test drive and everything seemed to be functioning properly except the speedometer cable was making some noise. I pulled the cable housing off the speedometer and put a little light grease on the cable and reinserted it. Now, the speedometer is not working at all. The problem is that the cable is not turning.

The cable is not turning so I either don't have it seated into the drive unit or the drive unit has gone bad. I push the cable in as far as it will go and at that point, I can't move it with my fingers so I assume it is seated. Is my thinking correct? Anyone have a suggestion about how to check if it is seated or a trick to get it seated?

If I need to pull out the drive unit does anyone have a trick to get at it? My hands are too big to do much more than feel around up on top of the tranny with the fluid lines in the way. I was able to get on the cable end at the drive unit with a short wrench and could turn it about 1/8 turn so getting it out is going to be a long frustrating process. I am afraid that if I can get it out, that I won't be able to get it back in.

Posted on: 2022/11/15 16:56
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 speedometer sending unit advice needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The drive unit is QUITE robust so that is not likely the problem. More likely the cable was not pushed in far enough. As you say, you should not be able to twirl it with your fingers. While you are under the dash take a wee tiny screwdriver and insert it in the speedometer fitting and make sure it still turns freely. As you do that, a helper can see if the speedo needle moves.

Posted on: 2022/11/15 18:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I checked the speedometer and it turns easily and the needle moves.

I disconnected the cable and took the car for a drive. The cable is definitely not turning.

Posted on: 2022/11/15 18:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
It occurred to me that I could see the speedometer drive gear through the access hole in the floor. I could see the gear move slightly when I twisted the speedo cable end, so I knew that the cable was seated. However, the gear did not move when I started the car and put it in H.

I was able to get the speedometer drive pinion out and the problem is obvious. Wish I had checked this when I had the body off!

Attach file:

jpg  speedo pinion gear 54.jpg (36.62 KB)
1136_6375c4c33498a.jpg 808X728 px

Posted on: 2022/11/17 0:27
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved