Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Need some guidance
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Have you thought about repairing it yourself?

Reason I ask is a guy on the AACA Forums repaired the front end damage on his '38 Studebaker himself with no prior bodywork experience. See this link to the thread concerned. Also details his insurance company wrangles.

Posted on: 2022/11/21 18:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
It had crossed my mind, but I want it done right, so that immediately sent that thought right out of my head. Maybe once I retire I might pick up a project car that I am willing to learn on and that I am willing to settle on an DYI job but this isn’t the one.

Posted on: 2022/11/21 19:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
CartRich wrote:It had crossed my mind, but I want it done right, so that immediately sent that thought right out of my head. Maybe once I retire I might pick up a project car that I am willing to learn on and that I am willing to settle on an DYI job but this isn’t the one.

Fair enough!

Posted on: 2022/11/21 23:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Thank you for all the input and helping to assuage the shock to some degree. I am now starting the game of telephone tag with my insurance rep. Being a working fool, I am unable to take calls when they come in while I am working.

Going back to my original post about my surprise that the offending party had insurance (you know it’s coming…)- I got a copy of the crash report this morning. It came as no real surprise to me to find out that she was driving on a suspended license. I don’t know if the rest of the country has this kind of problem, but at least here in Florida it is very very common. No license or suspended license.

Posted on: 2022/11/22 7:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
It's getting to be bumper cars out there. Since covid, people got glued to their iphones, etc. and rarely pay attention to driving. It's defensive driving at best, but when their in your lane??? I(SC) recently was pulling my trailer into the dealer to pick up my tractor and was 2/3 off the road and some teen, ran into the trailer. Tires screeched, I didn't see or feel the crash, I was well off the road already and it's five lanes, with light traffic. I was only blocking one lane, so I know he could've avoided collision if he was paying attention. Somehow, the policeman favored his excuse that I "pulled out in front of him", which is entirely bogus. His old man appeared and started accusing me, etc and wanted to start a fight. He didn't realize you don't mess with old people, we got nuttin to lose! Life sentences are short. So it could always be worse.
I'd say it depends on how many good '41 body parts you can locate will be the determining factor on repairs. In another brand site, a guy was similarly hit in a 41 coupe and he was totaled by the insurance and had to go find a whole car. So depends what your insurance values your loss also. Let them sort out the other side and best to avoid involvement there without a lawyer.
ps: I'd not wait til I retired to take up the body tools. That's what I thought and life seems to get in the way of the best of plans.

Posted on: 2022/11/22 11:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Suspended license throws up a red flag. Technically she's not authorized to drive the vehicle and the claim may be subject to denial.

For example, my policy has Exclusion 13 that denies coverage for damages resulting from my committing a criminal act. Driving under a suspended license is prima-facie criminal act. Robbing a bank, abducting a child, road rage, drunk driving, etc, etc.

Are you in any car clubs? My CCCA bulletin has an advertisement for Harbor Restorations in Rockledge Florida. They have a website, and they subcontract transportation. They say they will provide references as well. 321-633-3227.

Posted on: 2022/11/22 11:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Jim did the dealer have cameras?

If they do, call them quickly and see if you can get a copy of the footage.

Posted on: 2022/11/22 12:20
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Thanks for that tip on Harbor. I am planning to take a drive up to St Pete on my next day off to check out Realistic Restorations. I have seen them at our local Spring car show here in Sarasota and according to their website, they have been in business for 30 years and do collision. Also, I have been given the name of a restoration shop in Tampa that does strictly Classic era restorations (or so I have been told). I am grateful to see that the in state restoration company landscape is not as grim as I had expected.

Posted on: 2022/11/23 6:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
As regards that trailer incident, you really have to be emotionally prepared to deal with cops. Every time I deal with cops they try to nail me for something. Once I caught somebody breaking into my car and the cops tried to nail me for assault. Another time my car was rearended when parked and they tried to nail me for road rage even though I wasn't in the car and didn't even get in the car. I knew somebody who was broadsided at an intersection and the cops took the offender's lies seriously. Witnesses proved otherwise. The only explanation for such behavior is that when cops listen to liars it reduces the amount paperwork they need to fill out. So, I followed the Russian example and bought a dashcam. In Russia law enforcement is so crooked everybody has dashcams because of the corrupt legal system there.

Another disincentive for using my car. And when I am a pedestrian, I keep in mind that if I get run down the cops will likely say it is my fault for walking. Thus, the other day when two school buses disregarded my presence and right of way at a crosswalk (the light was white) I just let them go by and didn't try to be smart, risk being rundown, and then having the cops listen to those crackhead liars.

And let me add one more thing. The Judge handling the case where my car was rearended tried to get me to accept the drug infested offender's offer to provide restitution. I had to point out to the judge that accepting that non-sense would result in the insurance company denying my collision claim under the subrogation clause.

Our legal system is not the worst, but it's pretty bad.

Posted on: 2022/11/23 9:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Another concern might be time, I know in my area, a good restoration shop, you might have to wait for a long time. Had my car stripped and painted, got on the list, waited a year. There is another restoration shop that I called had a 2 year waiting list and would not even take my name
Good luck with it
W

Posted on: 2022/11/23 17:40
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved