Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: What is this Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Love it.

Posted on: 2022/11/21 11:24
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Glad this project is in capable hands like the idea of Jag engine. Have seen many stock appearing old cars with newer engines . The Jag engine presents itself well. Should make nice driving and sounding car. From your past work I know it will be done in a style and complete documentation Mark and his wife made a good choice in you to complete his dream

Posted on: 2022/11/21 16:06
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Great story. That's about the level of patina my '40 110 has on it naturally, but also added body damage. I'll bring it back to less body damage, but keep the patina.

Pretty fun stuff there.

Posted on: 2022/11/22 0:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Cool looking car!! I would almost go to the point of saying it's "cute".

The pic of the car on the trailer (OnTrailer2 Large.jpeg) makes the tires look HUGE......what size are they?

Posted on: 2022/11/22 6:06
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I will have to go take a look. But interestingly enough, here is a factory photo and those tires look large as well. Perhaps it's the black walls?

Attach file:

jpg  8452.jpg (62.30 KB)
1_637cc1ae665b9.jpg 750X598 px

Posted on: 2022/11/22 7:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Tho' we decry modern drivetrains in old cars, yours is a rare exception, like a Mercury or Olds V-8 in a 1940-41 Lincoln Continental, Mercury, Cad, Chrysler V-8s in originally Ford Allards.

But something poetic about inline sixes and eights, being the only internal combustion engines with inherent balance. The Jag XK six was designed during the war, debuted 1948, so you've got something that might've been done by a sporting Packard fan long ago, given many of the home built sports cars with XK mills in the early '50s.

In other words, Kev's crisp Packard a far remove from today's usual low-horizon SBC Turbo HydraMatic in increasingly everything built before 1950.

According to Maurice Hendry, who knew what he was talking about, always got it right, in the late '30s, one of Packard's engineers, Howard Reed, a Buick alumnus, wanted Packard to produce not just an ohv, but ohc engine. He was told the noise would be unseemly in a Packard, read eat into our profit margins. Packard's side valve engines were as good as any, and the Jag XK on every engineer's list of the best internal combustion engines of the 20th century, so you've an idealized car; the 1935-37 juniors having a jaunty look lost in '38, the year Buick ended Packard's three consecutive year Gallup Poll Most Beautiful Car.

At 4.173 inches, the Jag's stroke nearly Packard's 4.25, shares a 2 3/4" crankshaft diameter with Packard, and Duesenberg J for that matter. The 3.8-liter Jag engine within a few pounds that of the Packard 245-ci six, your suspension and brakes will be happy. The initial '37 Packard six was a dog with its Chandler Groves one barrel carb. Your car's previous owner solved that.

Your '37 is also an ideal size. Keep the blackwalls and don't tart it up. Good going, Kev.

Posted on: 2022/11/26 14:15
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It amazing to be how different the Jag motor is in design vs Packards offering. I've had several "what the heck is that thing" moments so far on the motor.

Posted on: 2022/11/26 18:11
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev, you are going to have a lot of fun with that car. Since it is not original you will not be constrained to keep it as it came from the factory. Lots more room and fun to play around in. How about a photo of the engine compartment and more of the rear end with the outside spare? I have been out of town for the past week, but want to follow the project on you SGW YouTube program.

Oh yes, you may mail the magazine any time it is convenient for you.

Posted on: 2022/11/29 12:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
John,

Check out the project blob I've created. I think there are a few good engine pics in there. If not, or you're looking for something specific, I can take some more.

Posted on: 2022/11/29 15:07
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I looked at your blog. Should have looked there first before posting the request. This is going to be fun!!!

Also, as I recall the tires do fill up the wheel openings. I had Diamondback tubeless radials on mine that had approximately the same diameter as the stock tire size.

Posted on: 2022/11/30 13:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved