Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What can I expect in an an abused 245-6?
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I'm planning on installing a '47 245 in my '40 (replacing it's very tired 245). The '47 engine was running prior to being pulled. Compression was good, the engine did not make any noticeable knocking or noise while running (I saw a video of each) and miraculously, the prior owners did the 'nickel test', with a nickel balanced on edge at idle. Rock steady.

Getting ready for a cosmetic refresh (paint, gaskets, carb and fuel pump rebuild, etc.) I pulled the starter, fuel pump, manifolds off, and then pulled the pan to clean it (1/4 to 3/8" of crap on the outside of the pan). The pan had obviously not been pulled in a Very Long Time.

Inside the pan, I found very dirty, half-jellied oil, the consistency of tomato aspic. In the bellhousing, the remains of the clutch lining in large hunks, 4" long but very thin. Probably the reason the engine/trans was switched to a SBC Turbo 400, and why I was able to pick it up.

Cleaned the inside of the pan with putty knives to get most of the goo out, then a liberal application of sawdust, rubbed by hand to remove anything remaining still "wet", then another scrape, then scrubbed with toothbrushes and more sawdust.No metal noted, but it was too thick to really make out much in any regard.

Outside, putty knives and a combo chisel and rasp to get it clean. Then a wire brush attachment on my drill, which when I'd cleaned off the crap, revealed two small pinholes in the pan from rust-through.

The oil pickup screen was a disaster.

Removed the cotter pin, pulled that off, removed the outer cover from the intake and found 90% of the screen plugged. Scrubbed it for awhile, eventually revealing that it was not in fact a black-painted element, but was actually bare metal, coated with black crud. It's soaking in a degreaser for Several Days Ahead.

Given what little I know about the engine, what do you think I should be looking at next?

The engine / bellhousing are still attached and suspended on an engine stand and cherry picker. Next step after cleaning and reinstalling the oil screen will be to reinstall the pan, remove the burned-out clutch, bellhousing and flywheel, and then get it on the engine stand properly. Then flip it over and see what the bottom end looks like.

I've worked on OHC engines since I learned to drive in '76; I have an idea of what I'd find on a tired and abused engine of that type....but what additional info on a Packard?

Thanks for any assistance--

Tom

Posted on: 2022/11/27 21:34
 Top  Print 

Re: What can I expect in an an abused 245-6?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Yeah, after what you described here, if it were mine, I'd be pulling it to pieces and sending the block and head off to a machine shop for a good thorough tanking.

Just my $0.02 . . . .

Posted on: 2022/11/27 22:20
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Or just pop down to Central Oregon when I’m next at my shop and pick up the mostly rebuilt 1940 245 that I have for sale!

Posted on: 2022/11/28 2:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
At the least...considering the condition of the pan and oil pump, consider removing the covers to the valve train and cleaning it out as well. Also all the oil passages should be blown out with compressed air. Give the engine a good flush until the fluid coming out runs clean. Also flush the radiator that you are going to use...check the torque on the head bolts...put it together and run it on the stand and see how happy it is and you with the engine. Ernie in Arizona...Packard Don is a cool dude...if you don't like the engine when running on the stand...do a deal with Don.

Posted on: 2022/11/28 12:22
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I'll pull the valve covers when it's not 9º outside and 30º in the shop...

Posted on: 2022/11/28 23:38
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved