Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: How to tell the difference between a 352 and a 374
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Other than the ID# stamped on the engine, is there a noticeable difference between the 352 and the 374?

Other than the advertised HP and color difference there is nothing else with the engine itself. Bolt on items may or may not be different. If it still has everything original the 352 would have been painted a shade of greenish-blue and would have had a Carter WCFB carb. The 374 would have been bronze with a Rochester 4GC. CID and carb accounts for the HP difference but I do not remember if the senior Rochester carb was one of the changes added to the 352 when it became an Executive engine or if it kept the Carter. I believe the rocker covers did change to the senior silver with an embossed Packard name though.

Air cleaners and accessories may be different so that would be visible The Clippers (and Executive) with a 352 typically had Autolite electrics and the 374 had Delco. For the most part all that stuff is interchangeable and could have been swapped around in the years since Packard went away. Junkyard cars were sometimes a quicker and cheaper option if parts were needed.

As far as performance goes, there is very little difference. After Packard was gone Studebaker found 352 service engines stored in a warehouse. To get rid of them they sold them to dealers at a very low price and even suggested dealers offer the 352 to customers with larger engines that needed a rebuild. Also told them to mention there would be a negligible change in performance in order to close the sale.

Posted on: 2022/12/3 16:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
No visible difference that I’m aware of.

Posted on: 2022/12/4 2:17
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Merle
See User information
Thank you! I am hoping to restore the car and am very thankful for the education that I have received from this group.
I think I have seen greenish paint on the engine and it does have the Packard embossed valve covers.

Posted on: 2022/12/4 11:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The greenish paint was used on the Clippers and probably carried over to the Executive too which would have had the Packard rocker covers. This is the one color of Packard engine paint that has not been reproduced.

Posted on: 2022/12/4 12:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved