Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: Randy's Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Thanks Howard Yes its Randy's Caribbean with push button shift.I was looking at wiring and it shows the switch where the wires for starter and backup lights connect. Assumed it was a switch similar to other cars. I asked rather than stumble on with no direct experience. Will start at pb relay area.

Posted on: 2022/6/5 12:02
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Re: Randy
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you find there is no power, or at the best, intermittent power going to the relay or the reverse lights and the inline connectors or plastic plug terminals at the base of the column where the wires exit to the engine compartment are good, there are a couple of known issues with PB assys that could be causing a problem.

One is the wire U shaped clip on the end of the PB shaft can burn or wear and another is the leaf fingers can weaken or break off entirely due to metal fatigue with the repeated flexing. The damage happens right at the sharp 90 degree bend where the vertical portion attaches to the fiber insulation board.

I don't know if Mr Pushbutton had the clips or contacts repro'd. If he did not, as far as I know there are no repairs that can be made on the original contacts that will last very long. Options are to find a NOS or at least a better used PB assy or eliminate the contacts completely and change over to microswitches. I think Riki has some photos on his Ultramatic blog showing the microswitch conversion.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_2549.jpeg (56.70 KB)
209_629cf62633143.jpeg 707X463 px

Posted on: 2022/6/5 13:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
A update on my progress on Randy's Caribbean changed the headlight switch to get the dash lights working. Wound up taking front seat out as it was to difficult to try and lay on floor with seat installed. Most things that I can think of are complete except for wipers will check and replace all vacuum hoses. Photo shows car in daylight outside does look the way I think Randy had planed . Next step to get top installed. Did have to connect speedometer cable while under remembered about question on transmission number so I slid back only thing I saw was 004 on rear of pan area on left side O.D. had ask for his quite awhile ago

Attach file:

jpg  IMG20220915155109.jpg (619.62 KB)
252_63239a0edc9f9.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  IMG20220915150817.jpg (137.78 KB)
252_63239a2d99ea3.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2022/9/15 16:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Acolds, thanks so much for remembering about the trans number! It's obviously a very early 1956 unit (4th?) but unfortunately the prefix letter (A, B, C, or D) is apparently missing so we can't tell which powertrain it was built for. May or may not be a Caribbean unit, may or may not be original to Randy's car. Caribbean units carried the prefix "C".

Its heartwarming to see Randy's car coming back and approaching completion, my warm and profuse thanks to you.

Posted on: 2022/9/15 17:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Its heartwarming to see Randy's car coming back and approaching completion, my warm and profuse thanks to you.

Al (acolds), I think so too.

Posted on: 2022/9/16 10:06
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Stamp a C in it. Problem solved.

Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Acolds, thanks so much for remembering about the trans number! It's obviously a very early 1956 unit (4th) but unfortunately the prefix letter (A, B, C, or D) is apparently missing so we can't tell which powertrain it was built for. May or may not be a Caribbean unit, may or may not be original to Randy's car. Caribbean units carried the prefix "C".

Its heartwarming to see Randy's car coming back and approaching completion, my warm and profuse thanks to you.

Posted on: 2022/9/16 20:55
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Also missing a digit, Utica plant # for a Carib Twin Ultra would be C 1XXX.

Posted on: 2022/9/16 21:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Got question about progress on Randy's Caribbean . Will give a update currently working on power antennas sent out masts to be chromed missing one section on return. Also had to replace the thru bolts on one motor which is bigger job than I figured as the brush holder is on drive end of motor. Had to replace the nylon cord that drives the masts up and down. I used 1/8 weed wacker cord I have used it before on Olds power antennas with good results. The Olds antennas go up and down when ignition is turned on and off which is hard on the units. Packard will not be used that much. On my Clipper I seldom move them as if you use them not fully extended or retracted they stop at different heights which I don't care for that look.
Did locate a pair of chrome valve cover which I did not have. Little details cause me problems which always seem to take longer than I figure or plan.

Posted on: 2022/12/13 19:39
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
👍

Posted on: 2022/12/14 2:32
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

acolds wrote:
Got question about progress on Randy's Caribbean . Will give a update currently working on power antennas sent out masts to be chromed missing one section on return. Also had to replace the thru bolts on one motor which is bigger job than I figured as the brush holder is on drive end of motor. Had to replace the nylon cord that drives the masts up and down. I used 1/8 weed wacker cord I have used it before on Olds power antennas with good results. The Olds antennas go up and down when ignition is turned on and off which is hard on the units. Packard will not be used that much. On my Clipper I seldom move them as if you use them not fully extended or retracted they stop at different heights which I don't care for that look.
Did locate a pair of chrome valve cover which I did not have. Little details cause me problems which always seem to take longer than I figure or plan.

Very clever idea on using a weed whacker plastic spool element. The antenna component is what some OEMs used to refer to as a "rack rope." Some of these factory original OEM components actually had teeth in them, such as units used in certain Asian brands during the 1980s-90s.

Which Olds? My 1964 Oldsmobile Starfire convertible used a flatter type that liked to bend if valets decided to lean on the switch.

As for this element in V-8 Packard Caribbeans, remember that rear-mounted power antennae on V8 Packards had a round plastic element. However front fender-mounted V8 Packard power antenna units had a flat plastic element and completely different spool.

Also the lower metal mast segment and cap nut differed on these antenna types. Which is why it is easy to spot a front antenna mast when it is used on the rear– as they so often are these days.

Nice to see the progress on this beautiful Caribbean. The color on the engine and transmission in the image looks very different from factory bronze. A much lighter hue in the photo. More like Cadillac metallic mist color? Or is this merely the image?

Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 2022/12/14 10:52
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved