Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 115

John Sauser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

V8 manufacturing shut down
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Did Packard (Studebaker-Packard) continue to produce engines in Michigan after automotive production ceased on June 25th, 1956? Curious if replacement engines were produced under the Curtiss-Wright agreement for some period.

Posted on: 2022/12/17 14:05
 Top  Print 

Re: V8 manufacturing shut down
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
As a Canuck I am proud to say that Studebaker continued production in Hamilton Ontario, Canada until its demise in 1966. The last car off the line was a V8. An excerpt from Wikipedia:
Studebaker cars built in Canada were openly marketed there as Studebaker: Canada's Own Car!. In other markets, notably the United States, Studebaker promoted the Common Sense Car. Production of Studebaker cars in Canada increased in 1964 due to the American plant closure, but American sales collapsed. During 1965, even Canadian sales began to decline, both a sign the future was not rosy. Although the 1965 production of 19,435 cars met the announced goal, the reality was that the move to Canada was more a method of gradually phasing out production, rather than a real effort to remain in the auto business.

Grundy approached management in early 1966 seeking funds for a minor 1967 restyle and the associated tooling, but was advised that there would be no 1967 models. The last of the 8,947 1966 models built, and the final Studebaker car, a V8-powered Cruiser four-door sedan, rolled off the Hamilton assembly line on March 16, 1966.

Posted on: 2022/12/17 15:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Didn't the Canadian built cars switch to GM (Chevy) engines when the South Bend Studebaker plant and I believe foundry shut down?

As to the original question I seem to remember reading every thing Packard built at the Utica facility for car use -engines, Ultras, etc - ceased production when Packard shut down. If those items were still built in quantity, since engineering to mount the Packard engine and trans in a Stude chassis had already been done for the 56 Golden Hawk it would seem they could have used the Packard engine in the 57s. Instead they went to the Stude engine and trans then had the expense and effort to supercharge to get the HP and performance to match the Packard engine.

Packard apparently did build out quite a few 352 engines prior to closing. Whether that was intentional or just had many left over from lower than intended car production is unknown. Stude found a lot of those engines stored in a warehouse in the late 50s-early 60s timeframe but apparently very few if any 374s. Stude offered the 352s to dealers dirt cheap to move them out and suggested they also be used to replace the larger engines. I believe I also read where several of those engines were also sold to a company who converted them for use as marine engines.

Posted on: 2022/12/17 16:00
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Yes, you are correct, they were GM Chevrolet 283s made under license from GM by McKinnon. McKinnon was a wholly owned subsidiary of GM.

Posted on: 2022/12/17 17:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Thank you for all the rsspnses. I was most interested in the Utica Packard V8 plant. I have never read anything definitive on the shut down date or the last casting date.

Posted on: 2022/12/18 8:56
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved