Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 101

DavidM, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Old pressure drops at red lights
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ryan
See User information
So I have a 55 patrician, and my oil pressure will drop at red lights. The car starts to shake and when I accelerate the car tends to jump and die. I can easily restart it and get going..could this be a problem with the oil pump? Does anyone make a conversion I could buy? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posted on: 2022/12/18 20:14
 Top  Print 

Re: Old pressure drops at red lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not at all uncommon for oil pressure to drop at a traffic light, among the many factors that influence oil pressure is engine speed. To better understand your situation you need some real numbers like actual oil pressure readings in psi at road speed and at stopped at a light. Your engine performance problems may be unrelated to engine oiling.

When is the last time your engine had a good, thorough tune up?

Posted on: 2022/12/18 20:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You performance problems are not related to oil pressure. Your car needs a tuneup.

If you are not having any problems with lifter noise then the oil pressure is probably OK.

Posted on: 2022/12/18 22:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
The sensing unit could be bad.

They do give up.

Posted on: 2022/12/18 22:20
Riki
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ryan
See User information
Thanks for the 3 reply so far. So I have had this car for almost a year but only really driven it for 6 months. I would like to let you guys know I really only got this project to practice upholstery, I haven't done much with engines since a small engines class in high school 15 years ago and I am probably a horrible mechanic. I can probably put an additional oil pressure gauge on the line to get an accurate read on driving vs stoped old pressure. As far as a tune up... I had the oil changed this summer at a place that fixed my torsion suspension problems, they also said they adjusted my idle. What exactly would you guys consider a tune up? Is anyone local to Detroit? Thanks for the help!

Posted on: 2022/12/18 22:42
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ryan
See User information
I'm not sure what lifter noise really sounds like... maybe I'll try to find it on youtube

Posted on: 2022/12/18 22:43
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ryan
See User information
I will look up the sensing unit in my shop manual...thank you

Posted on: 2022/12/18 22:44
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jw4
See User information
Quote:

Ryan wrote:
The car starts to shake and when I accelerate the car tends to jump and die.

That sounds like your engine is simply trying to stall at the light, hence, the oil light comes up.
Is it also doing this when cold? Or only after you drive it for a while?
I would first make sure that your hot idle speed is adjusted to specs, and that the engine is not overheating.

Posted on: 2022/12/18 23:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
The gauges tend to read low. On my 55 400, the oil gauge would read in the middle when cold, about 3/8 when warmed up driving, and nearly nothing at warm idle. Turns out that I'm actually at 10-15 PSI when warm idle, which is normal. And 60 PSI cold.

Posted on: 2022/12/19 5:21
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
If you haven't done it already, a tune-up begins with replacing the ignition points, condensor, rotor, cap, plug wires and spark plugs. All these being new and adjusted correctly will go a long way toward keeping it running at idle.

jack vines

Posted on: 2022/12/19 12:29
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved