Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 458 459 460 (461) 462 463 464 ... 498 »

Re: Various CL Pickings
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Sure is a collection of "finds" there.

That 51 Patrician is quite something. Interesting to think that someone parked it one day and never touched it again for probably 50 years.

I might be going to NJ for Xmas and if I am I'll have to think if I could use anything off that 400. Spare cig lighters?

I wonder if anyone will pick up that Caribbean as a project. As long as it's not rusted into the ground it looks fairly viable, but you'd also pretty much need a whole senior parts car for it.

I'm surprised that 55 Patrician is still for sale. People are probably scared of the 91k miles and that it needs some paint, but all the brightwork is in great shape and that color scheme looks SO nice.
The bronze/white interior and exteriors are probably my favorite of all. Next is probably green/white, then pink/white. Nice thing about having a pink car though is NOTHING looks like it at a car show, and you can't beat it in terms of visibility on the road. The downside of brownish colors is you blend in with all the 80's camper vans.

Posted on: 2022/12/8 19:08
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I asked the guy about the 1951 Patrician. He says it was parked in 1953. And it only has 954 miles. What?

Guy said that the owner was in with some hookers and eventually picked up something that killed him and his wife unfortunately, then apparently the car was forgotten about.

Though this doesn't explain the tax sticker on the window apparently saying "12" or "72".

Posted on: 2022/12/8 19:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Maybe the window sticker is a month or some other sequence rather than a year. Anyway, it looks like a complete car that even still has the original tires!

Posted on: 2022/12/8 21:36
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information

Posted on: 2022/12/12 19:50
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
A nice 36 V12 convertible coupe/ roadster
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1936-packard-costa-mesa-ca-2647434#&gid=

Instead of a radio it has a gauge that says "Motorola". The earliest cell phone adaption? I'm sure theres a much better explanation.

Attach file:

jpg  20221221_083940.jpg (48.92 KB)
5061_63a31ac790485.jpg 720X490 px

Posted on: 2022/12/21 9:40
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jw4
See User information
This is an older-style radio.

Posted on: 2022/12/21 10:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

BDC wrote:
A nice 36 V12 convertible coupe/ roadster
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1936-packard-costa-mesa-ca-2647434#&gid=

Instead of a radio it has a gauge that says "Motorola". The earliest cell phone adaption? I'm sure theres a much better explanation.

BDC where do you think the "motor" in "Motorola" comes from?

Though not the beginning of the company, the first Motorolas (portmanteau of motor + Victrola) were car radios, first sold in 1930. The company not long after changed its name to match the product line (previously Galvin Manufacturing Corporation).

Though I have no idea if that radio is original.

Posted on: 2022/12/21 12:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
From the web: The name change from Galvin Manufacturing Corporation to Motorola Incorporated occurred in 1947. Seems this is an example of the product’s name was so well known that the company changed its name to absorb some of the glow.

All of this started with William Lear, of LearJet fame, and his friend Elmer Wavering solving the ignition system interference problem for early radio designs. Having a working prototype they installed it into Paul Galvin’s Studebaker. Paul drove the car from Chicago to Atlantic City and debuted the radio at the June 1930 Radio Manufacturer’s Show (not sure if Bill and Elmer went along). Unfortunately, he had not paid for a display booth, so he parked the car at the entrance to the Atlantic City pier and demonstrated to passers-by that the radio received a clear signal with the engine running. By the end of the show, Gavlin had enough orders to begin production. In Model A lore the story has been embellished to include that Paul couldn’t afford a booth in the show, but if the technical breakthrough was ‘static-free’ operation what would be better than a demonstration?

Ford first offered a ‘Motorola’ AM radio in ‘33, so having such equipment in a ’36 Packard is quite reasonable. A larger question would be; when did Packard first offer a radio in their cars, and was it Galvin equipment?

Posted on: 2022/12/21 14:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have a dealer-installed Motorola radio from one of my former 1940 Packards which is tiny compared to the factory radios.

Posted on: 2022/12/21 14:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe the first year of an offering of a factory installed radio in Packard was 1929 with the control head mounted on the steering column. I believe 1934 was the first year closed Packards were prewired with an antenna (in the roof structure).

My 1934 has an aftermarket Motorola installed in late 1934 by a Motorola station in Manhattan; I found the receipt for same under the front passenger seat shortly after I bought the car back in 1963.

Posted on: 2022/12/21 14:55
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 458 459 460 (461) 462 463 464 ... 498 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved