Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1929 640 Brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Tim

That's an interesting possibility as the car was completely disassembled when I got it. I see in previous posts that "29wrench" and "1928CnvCp" had the same problem, but no solution was mentioned. I would be interested if either of them found out what the problem was.

Posted on: 2022/12/29 11:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Checked the front axle and if the "stop" bolts that stop turning of the wheels are supposed to be on the back side of the axle, then the axle is in correct. Does anyone know why the brake cam on the outboard side of the backing plate when vertical places the slot on the inboard side of the cam at 7 degrees off of horizontal? Anyone know what the proper caster angle of the king pins should be?

Posted on: 2022/12/29 12:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi all,
Fascinating problem...One that I am also having after reassembling the front axles on my 645. As I rotate the tires the cables tighten against the brake levers and cause the brake shoes to contact the drums.

I can assure you that Jim does not have the axle on backwards (I have photos of my car before disassembly showing the "stop bolts" pointing to the rear of the car. I am also confident the brake shoes are not different sizes from passenger to driver's side, having lain them all on top of each other before re-assembly. I am intrigued by the mention of the cams being slotted at an angle. I unfortunately didn't take detailed photos of the cams when disassembling my car. They were covered in 90 year old grease and they appeared to be identical. I have included a photo of the "pre-disassembly" configuration of the inside of the wheel showing the cam clearly marked "R". However, you can bet that I am going to go back and flip those cams to see if the problem disappears. If anyone knows the final answer to this story, please post it or private message me! Thanks
John Wogec

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_6832.JPG (242.96 KB)
4844_63b1ff1fc2c70.jpg 1920X1282 px

Posted on: 2023/1/1 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39Rollson
See User information
You should look at the information this site provides. Go to the literature archive and look under service letters, counselors and bulletins. Scroll down to 1928 letters. Then to vol. II #9. Go to page 4. Under ask me another look at question #2. You'll see that your condition is normal for a correctly adjusted brake.

Posted on: 2023/1/2 15:18
1954 Cavalier (export model)sold

1941 Clipper

1939 120 Rollson all weather cabriolet

George
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Thanks George! I have learned a few tidbits from those service letters, but must admit I missed that one. I know that playing with the adjusting nut at the end of the cable allows me to get close to no drag, but never eliminating it completely on "full turn". Maybe that's the best to hope for, but I'm still gonna see if Jim's theory about the left and right side housings being unique has an effect. Thanks for pointing this out.
John

Posted on: 2023/1/2 17:26
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Odd Moen
See User information
See attached photo from the right front wheel on my 640. On my three 1929`s, which I restored completely by myself, all brakes shoes are equal, the inner diameter on all four drums are equal, the same thickness of all brake linings, and the cars brakes wonderful.

Attach file:

jpg  04_10_01-DSC00009.JPG (190.12 KB)
1718_63b43a49e1d24.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2023/1/3 9:25
633 Touring
640 Roadster
640 Phaeton
1104 Club Sedan
Odd Moen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
All of those sand blasted parts need to be painted or plated. I did a basket case where they sand blasted everything in sight and the car was on pallets. Everything was subject to rust. All of the bits and pieces were laid out on boards and then barrel plated and laid out again.

Attach file:

jpg  DSC_0006x.JPG (205.82 KB)
373_63b447fa4a887.jpg 1920X1277 px

Posted on: 2023/1/3 10:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved