Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: '56 Patrician Side Mirrors
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ther 51-54 Mirrors mount "through" the stainless trim into the door. But the physical attachment is to the door itself, with the trim being sandwiched between the contoured mirror base and the door.

Posted on: 2022/12/30 20:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re:
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tigeress1517
See User information
The '56 Patrician is Left Hand drive and currently has a round mirror on the left and a square mirror on the right.

Even though i will be driving it in Australia, it would be nice to have a matching set of mirrors.

Posted on: 2022/12/31 8:44
Jazz

'56 Packard Patrician

1956 Packard Patrician
Perth, Australia
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I'd still like to know what anyone has been satisfied with as an aftermarket mirror, quality but reasonably priced, to mount on the door (but not on the belt molding) both L.H. and R.H. side, for anything from 1951-1956. I cannot justify $1000 for a repro belt molding mirror, and anyhow somebody had already put a mirror on the drivers-side door on my car, so there are holes in the door already.

Posted on: 2022/12/31 16:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The 1955-1956 never had a belt molding-mounted mirror while 1951-1954 never had one that mounted to the door’s sheetmetal..

Posted on: 2022/12/31 18:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Thank you, Packard Don. Not to belabor the point (though I think I am going to now), but I understand that 1951-54 had belt-molding-mounted mirrors, and 1955-56 had door-mounted mirrors. Seems to me, since the bodies are essentially the same, the 1955-56 style should work on a 1951-54 body. And, indeed, someone long ago before me had mounted a square mirror on the LH (drivers-side) door of my 1953 Cavalier. It would be nice to replace that with something a bit more period correct, as well as a matching item for the R.H. door. However, even if I could justify the expense of the repro 1951-54 mirrors, installing belt-molding-mounted mirrors at this time would also require repairing and repainting the drivers-side door (at a minimum), because of the existing mounting holes for the mirror that was fitted some time in the distant past.

Much more preferable and practical to me would simply be to procure some nice door-mounted mirrors which have a 1950's feel to them, as probably many Packard dealers and/or independent shops would have done at the time. If there are any out there that someone has had some good experience with which can still be purchased recently, such information would be welcome.

I see what some folks are calling "Yankee Mirrors" on Ebay, and wonder if those might work well, and if anyone has any recent experience with those on offer. Am I correct that those were available in the 1950's?

Posted on: 2022/12/31 23:20
 Top  Print 

Re:
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tigeress1517
See User information
As you can see from the photo, both of mine are located on the doors. But in saying that, the schematics do not show any side mirrors???

Attach file:

jpg  front 56.jpg (67.79 KB)
225878_63b153ee7acc1.jpg 921X615 px

jpg  Plate-10-Body-Exterior-“Body-5682”.jpg (56.15 KB)
225878_63b15403980f8.jpg 800X495 px

Posted on: 2023/1/1 4:37
Jazz

'56 Packard Patrician

1956 Packard Patrician
Perth, Australia
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
51-56 Packards never left the factory with side mirrors. They were always a dealer add-on.

If you look at the Factory photos, even the most expensive cars (Patricians, Carribeans, etc.) won't have side mirrors.

I've seen lots of bodies with no evidence of ever having mirrors installed.

In most states, you are only required to have to safety equipment the car was manufactured with.

Driving in both Calif and Illinois, I've never had an issue with my lack of side mirrors. Also, I am tall, so even when I tried "clamp-on" mirrors, the viewing angles were never especially good. The one on the passenger door was particularly useless.

I just learned to look over my shoulder when changing lanes.

Posted on: 2023/1/1 8:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Although I seem to recall a production order posted on this site that directed the PA mirrors to be installed at the factory on a V8 Packard, you are correct that they were NOT a regular production option (RPO).

Factory-installed driver's outside rearview mirrors did not become commonplace in the industry until the 1960s. Availability of passenger side remained spotty until the mid 1970s.

Posted on: 2023/1/1 12:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
In most states, you are only required to have to safety equipment the car was manufactured with. Driving in both Calif and Illinois, I've never had an issue with my lack of side mirrors. Also, I am tall, so even when I tried "clamp-on" mirrors, the viewing angles were never especially good. The one on the passenger door was particularly useless.

This is true but also not quite all of the story. You can indeed get a ticket for not having a driver side mirror (or seat belts) in a vintage car that did not come with them originally but it would then be up to you to argue it in traffic court. We once got a ticket for a clear license plate cover which is also illegal in California and I got a ticket on my 1940 Packard for having the wrong bulbs in my fog lights.

Posted on: 2023/1/1 17:36
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved