Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Re: Electrical systems
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Congratulations!

Posted on: 2023/2/19 10:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
Hey thanks Jerome I appreciate it and I appreciate your help too turns out it was just the points now I just got to figure out the adjustment and adjustment on the carburetor so it at least idle by itself and then I can tackle the nightmare of the fuel pump installation

Posted on: 2023/2/19 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Yes, the points. Can't collapse the field in the coil if there isn't a field in the first place!

I don't know whether the carburetor really needs adjustment, or it just has been sitting for 20 years and therefore has clogged passages. You could try taking it off and cleaning it. Or - they sell rebuild kits for these carburetors for ~$50. It should be a Carter WCFB 985S or 2084S. There might still be the tag on the carburetor.

Max and Kanter both sell kits for those, or Daytona Carburetor, or Mike's Carburetor.

Other folks may have some better suggestions for smoke, but some judicious application of Marvel Mystery oil into the cylinders through the spark plug hole may help unstick the rings, if that's the problem. Make sure to turn the engine some with the starter but with the spark plugs out afterwards, wouldn't want to accidentally cause hydraulic lock. Could simply be the carburetor is messed up and you are running way too rich, as well.

People have been running 10w30 or 15w40 engine oil, some people have been using 15w40 diesel engine oil.

The transmission uses Type F, you check the level after having run the car in park or neutral for at least a minute.

Probably eventually it would make sense to change all of those fluids.

Posted on: 2023/2/19 10:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
Absolutely definitely going to change all the fluids I just got some I just ordered antifreeze oil filter I got the Shell rotella t4 1540 I believe but as far as the carburetor it has been rebuilt already oh it's probably been a couple years anyway I don't think it's been any more than 3 years tops but I mean it'll run but I have to hold the throttle open a little bit in order for it to stay running I don't know if maybe just cuz like you said it's sat for a while and you know maybe it just needs to work its way through but I will definitely look into cleaning it at least

Posted on: 2023/2/19 10:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
I mean the smoking isn't too bad I mean it was really bad at first like I'm inside the garage and it filled the entire garage both the base but it has subsided a little bit so I think it'll be okay just needs to run and with fresh oil

Posted on: 2023/2/19 10:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The smoke should subside as you drive it.

Posted on: 2023/2/19 12:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Just a humble suggestion...If you are holding the throttle so that the old girl will idle, you might just adjust the idle screw in the linkage to increase the idle RPM...after you drive it a bit, then you should be able to slow it down a bit...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2023/2/19 13:16
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
But it's actually what I was thinking cuz like you said I have to hold it in order for it to idle it seems like after a little bit I'm able to decrease the amount of pressure I put on the throttle without it stalling. I mean this car has literally not run in 40 years give or take so I know it's going to take a little bit of time for it to come back around work it's kinks out

Posted on: 2023/2/19 13:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
I mean I'm actually just tickled that it actually runs I did not have very high hopes for it but it runs and when I hold it to idle the engine actually doesn't sound that bad I don't think I actually hear anything you know knocking or anything

Posted on: 2023/2/19 13:20
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My car hadn't run in over 20 years and smoked really bad when I finally got it started. I'd change the oil and filter a couple times over the next frw months as your probably going to be flushing out gunk.

Also, I put in a quart of Lucas oil stabilzer, and when for a 100 mile freeway drive. When I got back, all the smoking had stopped as that was enough to free up the stuck rings.

Posted on: 2023/2/19 13:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved