Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 128

Alvin14, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1934 Packard Twelve 1107 battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the NAPA Commercial is a very good choice. Gobs of capacity and typically gave 6-7 years of trouble free service.

Posted on: 2023/2/24 10:00
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
It is also a good idea to use a battery maintainer when the cars are not used regularly. I have a 5-year old conventional type battery in my 99 BMW Z3 and a much older Optima in my 32 Ford Coupe. Both are on maintainers when not being driven and continue to perform well. I will replace the BMW battery when it fails with an Optima as it is in the trunk area of the car.

Posted on: 2023/2/24 13:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The 12v batteries on my 1965 Cadillac and 1985 Plymouth Voyager Magic Camber are more that 10 years old and going strong as I leave them connected to a solar maintainer with a large panel on the shop's roof. There are extremes in temperature where my shop is so a maintainer is a requirement in those conditions, especially the cold!

I do NOT have one on the 6v Napa Commercial battery on my 1954 Patrician and just had to replace the battery which was barely 5 years old so I need to come up with something for it too.

Posted on: 2023/2/24 14:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Monsignor Shields, just ordered one direct from Optima, arrived in a couple days. Last one went a decade.

I know of a Cadillac V-16 that does just fine on a single 6-volt Optima. If the heavy lead acid battery's additional 175 CCA makes you feel better, mighty fine.
I'd rather adhere to "weight is the enemy" for any serious road car.

If trophy quest foremost, again, Jim's Battery Manufacturing, Youngstown, Ohio (800) 426-7580 can furnish appropriate fakey do battery cover that will placate any judge.

Posted on: 2023/2/24 17:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Su8overdrive, Optima certainly had better news for you now than they had for me back in July; they wouldn't even give me an estimate on when they would have the 6 volt batteries available. On the weight issue, saving 30 pounds on a 4,640 pound car that is rarely used would seem to me to be insignificant in terms of performance or fuel economy enhancement. In addition to the almost 20% greater capacity in the NAPA 7212, the price was $110.00 less than the Optima. That was an unexpected benefit in buying the Napa 7212.

Posted on: 2023/2/24 23:57
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
That's the thing, weight adds up. 30 lbs. here, 30 lbs. there, pretty soon you're up to 100 lbs. jettisoned. Then 200 lbs. Losing weight an art, same as increasing torque/hp. Less is more.

Crying shame what was left of Packard in the '50s could do no better than glomming 200 lbs. more "sporty" cues on an otherwise stock convertible, the "Caribbean" aping dreck like the Olds Fiesta, Buick Skylark, Cadillac Eldorado instead of meeting or exceeding the Bentley Continental, considering Packard's earlier '34 Model 1106 LeBaron sport coupe.

Optimas have indeed gotten expensive, but again, a minimum of a decade vs. likely less, tho' obviously, some traditional batteries can go seven, eight, even on rare occasion, ten years.

A 6-volt Optima Red Top's 800 cold cranking amps enough to spin my 356's gear reduction starter, handily start a Cad V-16. My Cord friends like them because low voltage means no shift.

Am not affiliated with Optima or any other product mentioned, but figure the more business we steer them, the better pricing for us all. Usually.

Sounds like you got a good battery, regardless.

Posted on: 2023/2/27 19:04
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved