Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 208

JohnCB, TxGoat, Don B, chevyboy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cracked Rear Differential 1940 110 Sedan
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joe
See User information
I found what appears to be a cracked weld on the edge of the rear differential. I believe it's welded along the rear edge of the pumpkin but I'll wait for some expert input. Does anyone have suggestions on how to repair this or just stopping the leak?

Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  rear diff.jpg (0.00 KB)
226160_64bd859c4f08f.jpg 0X0 px

Posted on: 2023/7/23 14:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Cracked Rear Differential 1940 110 Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I had that happen on an older Ford F-100.

No reason evident, and only a very slow leak.

I used it that way a long time, then replaced the entire axle unit with a limited slip axle.

What I'd try with your car would be to clean the area of oil, paint, etc, and try to get a good look at the extent of the crack.

If it's just a hairline crack, you might be able to stop the leak by lightly peening along the crack with a body shop type pick hammer or a center punch and a light hammer, the idea being to displace metal along both sides of the crack toward it. This process used to be known as "caulking".

If that doesn't work, using some type of epoxy material might work if you can get the surfaces clean enough and scuff up the metal surface to improve adhesion.

Welding would be a last resort. Lots of people weld on steel axle housings. I'd want an expert welder to do any welding, and I'd want to remove the gearset from the housing in order to prevent an explosion or getting debris in the housing.

Posted on: 2023/7/23 16:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Cracked Rear Differential 1940 110 Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...There are Marine Epoxy products that are designed to work under water that would perhaps work well for your problem. Once the area is cleaned with a fine wire brush on a drill...and perhaps you drain the rear end to below the leak. Clean and dry...but the Marine Epoxy will not mind if the leak is weeping a small amount. May the Packard Gods with you! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2023/7/23 17:55
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved