Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 186

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55 Caribbean
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe I'm quite familiar with the 1956 Caribbean convertibles, but haven't had much exposure to the 1955 models. I saw one tonight that's low mileage, been barn-stored for decades with just an occasional excursion out into the sunlight, and owned by the same man all these years, probably since the 70s. It's such a rare oppotunity to see a preserved but unmolested car and make note of all the little details.

VN is 5588-128X, trim code #96. Couldn't get the door open far enough to see the paint code but it's white over red over black. Extremely unusual thief-proof number, essentially a one-of-a-kind format. Meaning unknown to me at this point, perhaps even a manufacturing error.

Two curious features which I'd invite comment on. (1) the convertible top has a red inner liner, but the exterior is Haartz cloth not unlike a 1954 top, not diamond-point synthetic (vinyl-like) as I expected to see.

Under the carpet on the driver's side, on the flat but somewhat adjacent to the hump and about 7 inches rear of the accelerator, is a round access panel in the floor with a reinforced plate rim around it, diameter perhaps 2 inches. If there was a cover, it's missing. Don't think I ever saw this on a 56. Comments?

Posted on: 2009/4/5 19:46
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Undercarpet inspection plate:
Master cylinder fill access???? Does the car have power brakes??? Is it a stick???? Did some of the pre-55's require filling automatic trans thru a hole in the floor hence maybe an earlier transmission ????

Posted on: 2009/4/5 20:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the thoughts, but I don't believe any of them apply, all V8 Caribbeans came with Treadlevacs and Twin Ultramatic with underhood filler neck. You kind of suprised me, I thought with your screen name you'd be more familiar with the V8 cars.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 20:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owen wrote: "not diamond-point synthetic (vinyl-like) as I expected to see."

I thot the conv tops were leather grained. Or was that 56 only????

Posted on: 2009/4/5 20:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Leather-grain is 1956 only.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 20:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My oval plate on the drivers side was missing and I purchased one from Minnesota Mike. The floor pans were universal to Clipper and Packard. I think the oval hole was for the master cylinder with standard brakes.
On your 55 discovery I might think the top had been replaced and they tried to put a liner inside like the 56 models had. The parts book (31.4744) does show a lot of bow drill tops with color backing. Trim code 96 (1955) is white with red backing. You may have stumbled on an original 55 with a bow drill top.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 20:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
the oval plate is for a master cyl fill access on manual brake cars. all 55/56's should have them even if they are p/b cars

Posted on: 2009/4/7 19:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
The 55 & 56 Caribbean convertible tops had the middle color as a liner. Look in the 55-56 parts book page 278, group 31.4744. Also look at 31.0625.

I always wonder what the non-standard paint code convertibles had for their liner.

I talked to Eric Haartz at one of the PAC national meets. I showed him pieces of an original top. It is a fine cloth weave, not like what Haartz makes now.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Paint code for the car would be MJV. I have a note that there was a 5588-128... series car located in New Jersey in the early 1970's. I agree with Randy, I recall the same access plate on my 5588 during restoration. I'll go through tbe restoration photos and see if I can find a picture that shows the location described.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 7:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have a note that there was a 5588-128... series car located in New Jersey in the early 1970's

Based on your partial vehicle #, that car is still in New Jersey. It has only seen daylight a couple of times over the last few decades, and time has not treated it particularly well though the owner seems inclined to remove it from hibernation soon and get it road-worthy. In fact it's the car that initiated this thread.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 8:29
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved