Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 169

Mark Graber, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Chrome & Stainless Steel
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Is the window trim, door trim, side trim, door handles and wiper arms stainless steel, and everything else chrome?

Attach file:

jpg  Chrome.jpg (529.77 KB)
226104_652012b9ad03d.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2023/10/6 8:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Chrome & Stainless Steel
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
During Korean War production there were material shortages and Packard issued a general guide as to the composition of most exterior trim items and what had to be changed to meet war restrictions. The enamel coated or so called war chrome was prevalent in 52 models and is an issue to restorers of those cars today.

With 53 production many if not all of the restrictions had been lifted and parts production mostly went back to normal -- although I suspect there could have been some war chrome items still in the parts bin that wound up on a few 53 cars. I believe the first two columns in the list are accurate for 53 models and probably most of the war chrome column labeled as enamel covered had gone back to the normal fully plated chrome finish as well.

Posted on: 2023/10/6 9:40
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
During Korean War production there were material shortages and Packard issued a general guide as to the composition of most exterior trim items and what had to be changed to meet war restrictions. The enamel coated or so called war chrome was prevalent in 52 models and is an issue to restorers of those cars today.

With 53 production many if not all of the restrictions had been lifted and parts production mostly went back to normal -- although I suspect there could have been some war chrome items still in the parts bin that wound up on a few 53 cars. I believe the first two columns in the list are accurate for 53 models and probably most of the war chrome column labeled as enamel covered had gone back to the normal fully plated chrome finish as well.

Thanks Howard, this is EXACTLY what I needed!

Posted on: 2023/10/6 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Korean War Chrome turns up on all USA cars made in the'52 and'53 era. Some '51 production might be affected. It is of very poor quality and is usually easy to spot due to being badly deteriorated, even on otherwise clean cars. By 1954, it was gone, and most all cars had high quality chrome plating, better than what you typically see today.

Posted on: 2023/10/6 12:41
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Possibly very late ‘51 and very early ‘53s have had it but none of mine ever did including a very late 1951 Henney-Packard from September of that year but my early 1952 Henney-Packard, also from September of 1951, did have it. A 1951 300 I owned did not have it and neither did a 1953 Clipper or a 1953 Patrician so it appears that it was hit and miss for the years adjacent to 1952!

Posted on: 2023/10/6 13:18
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
The door handles are chrome. An option to having yours rechromed is to find a good set from 54 or 55 as they are all the same.

Posted on: 2023/10/6 23:44
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
One of the least liked tasks back in the day was removing the protective film from the chrome grille on the 51-53 Packards. The film would quickly turn color and start to peel. We used a strong paint remover, but it still took much effort and time to get the film off.

Posted on: 2023/10/7 13:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

JWL wrote:
One of the least liked tasks back in the day was removing the protective film from the chrome grille on the 51-53 Packards. The film would quickly turn color and start to peel. We used a strong paint remover, but it still took much effort and time to get the film off.

After the coating was removed was a new coating of enamel applied?

Posted on: 2023/10/7 13:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
On my 1952 Henney-Packard which was all original and came from an Emeryville, CA museum when I bought it and had been there a number of years, the grille teeth and oval around them were yellowed. No problem stripping it off with a non-scratching Scotch pad, chrome cleaner, then some wax and it lasted as long as I owned it. This was all done in place without any disassembly.

However, one day at a PAC NorCal event on Treasure Island which is in the San Francisco Bay, the car was parked for only an hour or so and the saltwater mists gave all the potmetal pieces a flat white coating so right after the meet, ally the pieces has to be removed and replated. The only pieces that didn’t have the issue where the stone guards on the lower rear fenders and that’s because they were cast bronze but got a replating anyway.

Posted on: 2023/10/7 14:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

JWL wrote:

Curious if cleaning the film meant removing the protective enamel on the war chrome and was that replaced with a fresh coat.

Posted on: 2023/10/7 14:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved