Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 TL pic from LIFE.
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/uploads/photos/4709.jpg

Great picture of the chassis.

But i don't know whether to laugh or cry. Top man on Mahogany Row of PMCC and he's standing around with his hands in his pockets?????

Posted on: 2009/4/14 15:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 TL pic from LIFE.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I assume that it is a Clipper since I can only see one muffler, not dual exhaust. The air cleaner looks like a Packard, the tires are wide white walls are on both sides. I can not tell if the horn button is a Clipper or Packard.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 22:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Probably is a Clipper chassis but might have had Packard identifiable items-air cleaner, hubcaps maybe. The Predictor was also built on a Clipper chassis, surprisingly--maybe because smaller was easier to ship..

I would think only one exhaust was because they didn't want a pipe to be crossing around or in front of compensator mechanism to obstruct the view.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 22:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i am going to have to say Clipper Custom 4dr. if you look close two of the body mount ears are missing.....which would indicate the 4dr. version and the Custom had the Packard air cleaner and torsion suspension pretty much standard. the horn button looks like a ships wheel in the middle to me.

i like how the suspension components are all in a white color. it must have been purpose built as even the steering column has a special piece holding it up. Also i beat the paint job was quite a bit better than the factory put out on the normal cars. it looks really really smooth and shiny to me.

later,

Hank

Posted on: 2009/4/15 8:45
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I saw that logo Gerd. Didn't pay much attention because if you look at other Packard show booths, they're all petty much the same format. Clippers & logo on one side, Packards & logo on other and then the transmission, engine, whatever cut away displays and other stuff in the middle.

Hank is probably right about the custom chassis. For some reason they did use the Clipper chassis on special things--maybe had more of them, cheaper, smaller who knows. Yes, Hank the white does set it off on purpose. It was special built and highlighted to show the suspension components and how they worked & integrated into the car. Believe they were specially adjusted or built so the leveler performed properly without the weight of the body etc for demo. Revolutionary at the time--but there were also lots of people that wouldn't touch & wanted no part of any new fangled ideas.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 9:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
just like today....i remember my dad would look for cars in the early 90s that had the least amount of computer control.....he was abit afraid....now he just gets the warranty so he doesn't worry.

he always would say....less to go wrong and have to worry about fixing.

p.s. my wife is going to mail back your U-Bolt on Thursday. sorry it has taken so long, but as i am sure you know...i have been a bit preoccupied. sorry, i am usually more punctual.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 9:27
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Nice to hear from out your way, Henry. Hope all is swell.

I agree, on the LIFE pic that is definitely a ship's wheel center.

Unfortunate shot of Mr. Nance, though. Especially when you can't see what he's looking at. Appears to have stepped in something bad.

For some reason they liked to chrome plate the air cleaner on these show pieces, although I don't think chrome was ever actually available.

Maybe they chose the Clipper because early in the model year, the TL was still officially an option on the Custom--a required option on the seniors (which I believe could be deleted on special order, someone help me out here)--but the Clipper Custom/Constellation was the test-bed for actually selling the TL option--and did it ever sell.

Apparently the public wasn't too squeamish about it, as most ordered the option whenever it was available, and dealership demand for it was also high.

A while back on AACA, Craig H posted a couple of pics from a '55 Dallas auto show that included an overhead view of the chassis and other Packards on the showroom floor.

There's more discussion of these special show chassis in addition to pics in the first post from this long-ago thread:

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/251631

I hope it's OK to post these links... if not someone let me know. I just remembered this one and did a search for it.

If you just want to see the pic straight from Craig's website, here's that link, which I don't think he'll mind if I post:

http://www.1956packardpanther.com/1955_Packard_DallasAutoShowT-L1.jpg

Posted on: 2009/4/15 23:05
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
I honestly don't think it matches an model. i think it was strictly a put together show peice. think about theses things: which model dose the color of the drive train most closely resemble? i know the supers were red, packards ivory, i don't member on customs. CHROME single exhaust? show peice! look at the steering wheel. no off-setting color grips on it like a Packard. This would indicate a clipper. However, look at the button again. i can not truely see a wheel in it. It dose appear to be light colored. which would leave me to believe it to be packard due to the fact that every one of my clipper centers has/had a dark colored back ground. it also has chrome valve covers. any one else notice that the tires are www on BOTH sides?

well now that i wrote that i viewed the dallas pic. the dallas chassis is a sr. it has black painted dual exhaust sr bumpers and the center of the wheel covers is dark. i.e. red hex with a black ring around it. clipper would be red center with bare stainless wheel in it.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Guscha,
I like HH56 saw the sign, but as has been discussed usually see it with a Packard sign when other period pictures are shown.

All of the show chassis I have seen picture of, including the 1956 Dallas show one, and in person at the PPG (2006 PAC meet) have been senior cars. Learn something new all the time.

Are there any other pictures from that Life magazine?

Greendragon, no grips on the steering wheel, and chrome valve covers, good eye!

Posted on: 2009/4/17 21:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved