Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 161

HH56, West Peterson, DJP-37-120, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Electronic ignition
Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Oh, also I have two 6volt Optima batteries in my ‘39 and it never let me down, ……………………..so far!

Posted on: 12/15 12:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
My dad bought a new 1963 Ford pickup with a 223 six. I finally replaced the original plugs and points at 107,000 miles. It did run a little better. Always started easily.

Posted on: 12/15 12:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I've had a LOT of trouble with a 1981 Mopar electronic ignition. Module failure. Expensive replacement. I was warned by a former dealer mechanic that I'd have problems. He recommended that I carry a spare module, which I now do.
I've had some issues with a Mallory system on a 1972 Ford V8. I wouldn't exchange a good stock system for an electronic system without a compelling reason. Issues with stock systems can often be addressed on the roadside. My experience with electronic systems is that they may fail suddenly and completely.

Posted on: 12/15 12:29
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mopar_Earl
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
I've had a LOT of trouble with a 1981 Mopar electronic ignition. Module failure. Expensive replacement. I was warned by a former dealer mechanic that I'd have problems. He recommended that I carry a spare module, which I now do.
I've had some issues with a Mallory system on a 1972 Ford V8. I wouldn't exchange a good stock system for an electronic system without a compelling reason. Issues with stock systems can often be addressed on the roadside. My experience with electronic systems is that they may fail suddenly and completely.

Whether points or electronic, you should have spare parts or a spare ready to drop in distributor when on long trips. Every old points vehicle I ever bought has spare points and condenser in the glove box. Old Mopar's, spare ballast resistors.

Earl

Posted on: 12/15 20:05
1953 Packard Patrician 400 Touring Sedan
*Factory AC
*3spd manual with overdrive
*Heater
*Backup lights
*Power steering
*Power brakes
*Windshield washer
*Driver's side spotlight mirror
*Spare tire remote valve
*Wonderbar radio
*Power antenna
*Rear radio speaker with dash volume control
*Original interior other than the carpet
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved