Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 202

Packardbarry, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

SPEEDO REVOLUTIONS PER MILE
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Christopher
See User information
Hello fellow Packard lovers
I have recently fitted my 1954 clipper super with a turbo 700 auto and Im very pleased with the result , the original speedo is the last challenge to be worked out and if I know how many revolutions the cable has to turn to make 1 mile that will complete the formula since I have the tyre size and diff ratio.
Any info would be greatly appreciated .
Regards Chris

Posted on: 3/30 7:44
 Top  Print   

Re: SPEEDO REVOLUTIONS PER MILE
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
The specifications section of the manual and the transmission section of the parts list should hold that info.

Posted on: 3/30 8:18
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
The specifications section of the manual and the transmission section of the parts list should hold that info.

I don't believe that specific data was ever published as Packard typically only gave the number of teeth in the various drive pinions available for the rear axle options offered.

If no one can provide the actual TPM number for the King-Seeley speedometers Packard used in 54 there is a procedure mentioned by a company dealing with another car and speedometer brand that you might try. I don't remember ever seeing the number printed on the speedo face as the first half of the article mentions but never really looked for it either. The second half with the instructions on calculating the TPM using the gear and helix thread ratios might be helpful if nothing better comes along. Unfortunately it sounds a bit tedious and means removing the speedo from the car. If you do remove the speedo be sure and place a drop or two of oil in the hole in the square part of casting near the cable threads to lubricate the input socket assy and bushing.

http://www.guess-works.com/Tech/speedo.htm

In a related brain fart I just remembered another post from awhile back where this was discussed. In that thread the figure of 1000 was mentioned and confirmed as possible by a forum member that is the owner of a speedo shop. The link I gave to an article on various speedo numbers is no longer working but that 1000 number might be a starting point if a verified number is not found. Another possibility might be a reference book available for speedo shop use that could give a more definitive answer. If you have a local instrument shop in Australia that deals with American cars perhaps a phone call could get a better answer.

Posted on: 3/30 9:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
If you keep the original rear axle ratio and tire diameter, the speedometer should remain accurate.
Otherwise, the speedometer drive gear on the transmission end of the cable may need changed. In most cases, several different drive gears were available. Generally, speedometers were not very accurate. One way to check on the true accuracy is to use a Garmin device that shows speed and mileage and compare what the Garmin shows to what the speedo shows. In the case of my'37 120 with correct size 7.00 X 16 bias tires, the speedo shows about 23 MPH at a true 25 MPH, and it is dead accurate at or near 50 MPH.
I suspect that that error and non-linearity is typical. To check odometer accuracy, I'd want to drive 30 miles or so on the open road at a moderate speed.

Posted on: 3/30 9:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
In a motor magazine article the 1951 speedos tended to read about 5% high. In 1955, 10% high.

Posted on: 3/30 12:16
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
there are companies that make gear boxes to change ratios also make parts to convert electrical signals for cable driven system speedometers

dicksspeedotach.com

Posted on: 3/30 12:56
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I think HH56 is correct: 1,000 rpm per mile is the standard.

Posted on: 3/30 13:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi Chris, You could always head out to the Hume Motorway and pass everything on the road at a steady pace. The Police will turn up very soon to tell you exactly what speed you are doing, and help to calibrate your speedo. Peter T

Posted on: 3/30 15:12
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   
Laugh (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Usually go to Jon Stewart's Daily Show, Bill Maher's Real Time, or Jimmy Kimmel Live's opening to laugh out loud, but Peter's above another case of hilarious hard truth.

Posted on: 3/30 15:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Chris,

I like Peters suggstion.
An unrelated item to this topic, ie , is your avatar. I see yov've changed it to be your '48 Standard Eight Club Sedan which has undergone a metal transformarion turning it into a Two Door "Woodie". I've beeen "out of the loop" and wondering, how's progress on the Woodie going?

Posted on: 3/30 16:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved