Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 128

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: My First Packard
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Andy Lewis
See User information
Actually, the front bumper is bent up in the middle, like someone hooked a chain to it to pull it. The grill also has a few cracks and bends in the bottom, in the middle, where the metal is thin. The rear bumper has a little spot on the bottom of the driver side, BUT....I think it's perfect:) I don't want to be too corny but I'm really excited about this car. I'm 29 years old and just bought my first house as well as my first Packard. I don't have a lot of money, so my project will be slow and probably not make it to the quality of most of your cars anytime soon. I think I'm out of touch with some people here so I hope this makes sense. Some of the guys on this site obviously have high budgets and high expectations for other Packard owners. I've built several Mustangs and been around a lot of other project cars but I've never thought that most of the "classic" cars that people have are really that "classic". I've always felt a little cheated around older cars because, no matter how nice they are, most of them can be built from a magazine. Packard is what I've always wanted but didn't know it. Even when I did the Mustangs, I felt like it was too easy. Parts were cheap, new, and easy to find. I didn't even know what Packard was until I stumbled across my car, which I've only had for a few days, but from what I've learned so far, you really have to put in a lot of extra effort to work on a Packard. To me, that makes it a REAL "classic". This will probably be the newest project car I ever buy again. Screw the sixties. O.k. now that I'm done telling my car how much I love it, I'll let you guys read something else. Thanks again for all the input, see ya.

Posted on: 2009/5/2 3:58
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Andy Lewis
See User information
You guys are right, it may cost a lot for the clips but I need them to put the car back together(assuming I ever get it apart) and considering the trim is 99 percent good, the price of the clips doesn't seam that bad.

Posted on: 2009/5/2 4:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
lewis11 wrote:........I didn't even know what Packard was until I stumbled across my car, which I've only had for a few days, but from what I've learned so far, you really have to put in a lot of extra effort to work on a Packard. To me, that makes it a REAL "classic". This will probably be the newest project car I ever buy again. Screw the sixties. O.k. now that I'm done telling my car how much I love it..........

Passionate person projects a perfectly pontificated persuasive portrayal of the power of Packard!

Well said Andy!

Posted on: 2009/5/2 4:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

fern51
See User information
i have an extra chrome tail light assy with all the bolts still intact missing only lens, also another assy with lens abd bulb socket attached that has bad chrome outside. pm me and i'll let you have them for shipping cost only.

Posted on: 2009/5/3 13:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Most of the everyday parts can be bought from your local parts store. NAPA is one of the best sources for older parts.

Try to find an old gray haired or bald headed parts man. A pimple faced kid with purple hair and a snot ring is not likely to be too knowledgeable about Packards. Though there are exceptions.

I am referring to parts like brakes, suspension, fan belts, spark plugs etc.

Posted on: 2009/5/3 19:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
rusty be careful! andy may have funky colored hair and a snot ring! we don't have a physical description of him!those items can be decieving! one of the guys that works at my shop is that way, and he is very eager to learn and cares!

NOW Andy, welcome! i'm not much older than you (32) i have a love for that same car. my second packard is a 52 200 very simalar to yours. we need to know what trans your car had to help you find one. i have some parts from a 52 parts car. including engine stuff. also i'm a 13 year veteran of oreilly auto parts. if you need help with the parts for your car, just contact me and i'll get you part numbers.

once again, welcome!

Posted on: 2009/5/10 22:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

lewis11 wrote:I didn't even know what Packard was until I stumbled across my car, which I've only had for a few days, but from what I've learned so far, you really have to put in a lot of extra effort to work on a Packard. To me, that makes it a REAL "classic". This will probably be the newest project car I ever buy again. Screw the sixties. O.k. now that I'm done telling my car how much I love it, I'll let you guys read something else. Thanks again for all the input, see ya.

There's a lot to be said for driving the model less driven. A lot of the time you'll have the only one around, that makes finding your car in the parking lot easier! Even basic tuneup parts can be a bit of a challenge and that only makes you enjoy the drives more. I'd at least leave the early 60's alone. My 62 Lesabre might get mad. Good luck! I can't wait to try my Packard out on the road too.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 10:24
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Andy Lewis
See User information
I'm not really sure what kind of transmission it used to have but I know it was an automatic. Also, I suppose I can still appreciate some of the cars from the sixties:) and as far as a physical description goes, I don't have any piercings or colored hair(except a few white ones that came in while I was trying to start figuring out Packard stuff for the first time). Thanks again guys.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 0:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
if it was an a/t from the factory then it had packard's "ultramatic" in it. it's a good trans and i'd say put one back in it!

Posted on: 2009/6/3 19:37
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

fern51
See User information
glad the lights are going to work for you.less mess in my garage and going to be used by some one that needs them.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 20:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved