Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

29 vs. 37 Pick one
Just popping in
Just popping in

dmaxweb
See User information
I know there are a whole lot of 'it depends' associated with this question but what the heck. It will be interesting to see the responses.

Intented purpose is non-interstate recreational driver.
Both priced mid teens.

Vote for A or B

A. 29 633 7 passenger Sedan with side mounts(no covers)
Good complete running original
Starts right up and sounds like a Packard
Minimal surface rust only - no rust through
Original paint thin in places but not bad
Needs chrome re-plating
Needs tires
Older interior restoration (from pictures I have found, it looks like a match to orginal upholstery style)

B. 37 120c Sedan with side mounts
Engine rebuild with less than 100 miles
Slight engine 'tick' but will be taken care of by rebuilder
California car so virtually no visible rust
Recent repaint but not very good job
Needs some chrome re-plating
Needs tires
Interior needs all new upholstery

Posted on: 2009/6/4 11:38
 Top  Print   

Re: 29 vs. 37 Pick one
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Aside from what you've stated, the 2 cars have almost nothing in common except the name of the manufacturer; the big obvious difference is driveability and cost of maintenance/repairs. 120 parts are pretty plentiful and relatively inexpensive; can't say the same for the older one. The 120 is less limited in terms of highway use, and less-demanding to drive.

I'd be asking myself what kind of a Packard to i want to own, be seen in and driving.

Posted on: 2009/6/4 12:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Cars are the opposite of women in this regard, when in doubt, go with the oldest one. You just don't do that with women.

Posted on: 2009/6/4 14:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
The 1929 Packard is a full Classic with a Capital C.It is not, however, an easy car to maintain.All things being equal, it is the best buy.

Posted on: 2009/6/4 18:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
love them both, but the 37 to me is the better looking car. it would be my pick

Posted on: 2009/6/4 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I certainly would make a close inspection of both cars. However if there is some rust on the 29 I would want to make a close inspection of the wood frame work on the car.
Looking for wood rot insect damage. If there is that kind of damage to the wood, repairs can become a budget buster real fast.

Just my own thoughts in the end you are going to have make
the final decision. With out seeing pictures of both cars it is kind of hard giving any sound advice.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/6/4 18:36
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
If you are not interested in the 29, could you post the ad.I would love to know where I can get a full classic Packard for that price that I can get in and drive.

Posted on: 2009/6/4 18:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I would choose the 733, mindful however as Owen already mentioned, it will be more difficult to drive than the 120. Parts would be much more expensive and difficult to find also for the 733 if that is a concern. My advise would be to buy which ever car you like the most.

Posted on: 2009/6/4 18:39
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
All of the advice above is true. Remember that the 733 is good for 50ish mph tops, and the engine has babbitt bearings. You will need to be, or to employ a master craftsman to rebuild that engine if/when the time comes.

The 37 cruises faster, brakes better and has longer range also, any competent mechanic should be able to rebuild/work on the engine. If you want it to drive buy the 37. If you are willing to brave the aforementioned high cost/lack of parts in order to drive that majestic 733, go for it.

Scott

Posted on: 2009/6/4 20:14
1930 Packard 726
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Remember that the 733 ........engine has babbitt bearings. You will need to be, or to employ a master craftsman to rebuild that engine if/when the time comes.

Perhaps a tad overstated. Yes, you'll have to provide the crankpin measurements to the shop babbiting the rods, and you'll need a good machine shop to line-bore the main bearings, but in most other regards the skill set required isn't much different from one engine to the other. Costs however will be more for the older engine. If you have the skills to do a 120 engine, you probably have the skills to do the other.

Posted on: 2009/6/4 22:12
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved