Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

Gar, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

trip odometer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
A big thanks to BIG KEV for posting the '48 owner's manual. I have a '49 - 23 series, and I could not figure out how to reset the trip odometer, thought it was broke or froze up after almost 60 years. After reading the manual online, I got it to work today! With the car not running, I pushed it up and turned clockwise and it began to increase the setting. I tried it again with the car slowly moving, and it quickly reset to zero with no trouble. Thanks again to BIG KEV and all you guys (or Packard experts of either gender)for all the help.

Posted on: 2007/11/7 20:56
 Top  Print   

Re: trip odometer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I could never get my trip odometer to work properly. If I try to reset it the numbers won't zero but I will try it with the car moving next spring. maybe that is the trick?
The 47 owners manual is very thin and not nearly as complete as the '48 one.

Posted on: 2007/11/7 21:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
My trip odometer failed 21 miles in to the trip from the body shop. Every thing else kept working,speed ,tenths and actual miles but the trip quit.Any Ideas any one? Brian

Posted on: 2009/2/21 16:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here's a link to "How Things Work". A modern version of the Packard system with plastic instead of brass. In the Packard system, while the principle is the same, the pegs and gear they speak of in the how it works article are a bit different in construction and actually hidden inside the respective wheels.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/odometer1.htm

Since the trip tenths still works, the shaft and drive gears are intact. It sounds as if one of the gear/peg combinations which activates the next wheel in the trip reel is either broken or worn to the point it can't complete the movement.

The mileage and trip reels are almost identical, main difference being the trip reel has the tenths wheel along with a spring loaded input shaft that disconnects from the drive shaft and meshes with the reset shaft when the reset knob is pushed and turned.

Probably the best option is to send to a speedo repair shop and have them repair it.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 18:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Thank you for your input. I will check into it.Thanks again, Brian

Posted on: 2009/2/21 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
The other thing to check is that the adjusting cable didn't drop back down and disengage the cogs. It is spring loaded so it shouldn't. But id the spring breaks or the cable is rusty, it could stay down.
Worth checking. Doesn't cost anything.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 15:05
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved