Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 74

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pitman Arm play (Adjustment?)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I took my 53 clipper to T?V today for the bi-yearly saftey inspection, and they told me that I have play between the pitman arm and the cross link. The technition also said that this joint is adjustable. I never heard of this joint being adjustable. Is it true, or was he thinking of old Daimlers and ZIS/ZIL?
Here is a photo of what he was talking about. You can see between the two red arrows I drew in where the grease/grime has been pushed away by the free play.
Is this a case for a new/rebuilt pitman arm? (I did all A arm bushings, tie rods a few years ago, but not pitman/idler arms)

Thanks guys!

The other bad news from T?V was they want me to remove my clipper airplane hood ornament They are worried about me spearing a pedestrian! OK, I kind of understand that. Might try and replace with a swan if I can find one. -That would just maul a pedestrian, not cut them open :-/

Attach file:

jpg  (154.90 KB)
657_4a4904f134a8d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/6/29 13:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Pitman Arm play (Adjustment?)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would replace the stock hood ornament with one of these, direct from West Texas:

TORO!!!

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/6/29 14:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
love the alternate ornament.

I'm sure this has to do with the European pedestrian safety law. I would check if it is proper to apply it retroactively to your Packard. If he insists, take off the ornament, get the permit, and put it back on when you get home.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 15:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Mike,

I'm not much of a mechanic but here's my The pic below is of the type of cross shaft/tube on my '41 and I hope it's similar to your '53 Clipper's. The internal retaining "nuts", 15.001 and 15.008 in the pic, are locked in place by split pins. The "nuts" can be adjusted by screwing them in further to take up slack/wear through the springs onto the cupped pieces which contact the balls on the Pittman arm and the centre steering link. Hope this works out.

And of course Eric got right to the nub of your other problem, pity he didn't have a solution! Here in Oz older cars which don't meet current specs are exempt if they are "stock", so things like killer hood ornaments are permitted.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.44 KB)
226_4a4928b8a963c.jpg 512X384 px

Posted on: 2009/6/29 15:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
I'd suspect that the statistics for family members braining each other with the simple claw-hammer would be far more alarming than the statistics for pedestrians speared by hood ornaments. The number of non-problems that bureaucrats can think of to "regulate" never ceases to amaze.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 16:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
As Mal said you can just tighten the screw-in end caps to take up the slack. Also on the 51-54s there is a tension spring in the cross shaft on each end so there is going to be a little bit of movement by design.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/6/29 22:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
I have an extra hood ornament off of a 1952 Packard hood. It's complete but not in pristine condition. I would like to keep it but if you really need it let me know via PM.

Posted on: 2009/6/29 23:50
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Wow, the inspection tecnition was right about adjusting that. Thanks guys. I'll have a look in the shop manual about tension/torque specs. Hope to get to that this weekend.
The common opinion I have gotten about the hood ornament in Germany is to just take it off when I go for inspection and put it back on afterwards.
Mit Freundlichen Gr??en!
Mike

Posted on: 2009/7/3 12:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved