Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Results of Benoy Auction?
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Anyone found the sale price results of the Benoy Packard auction this past weekend?

Steve

Posted on: 2009/8/11 18:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Results of Benoy Auction?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There's a bit on the AAC forum. From what little there, sounds like prices were pretty low.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 9:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Here were the resultshttp://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=20722&p=&vt=1

I live near the place the auction was. I would have loved to have bought one of those '56 survivors, but the money wasn't there, not even for the one that went for $600 or the other for $900. Most of them are still on the lot waiting to be shipped to their new owners. I drool every day when I pass them going to work.

Posted on: 2009/8/15 23:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi 51Packard

Thanks for posting the link. I too wish I could have availed myself of one of those low priced Clipper DeLuxes, just for a driver.

'55-'56 Packard & Clippers: the collector car hobbies greatest bargains!

Steve

Posted on: 2009/8/16 9:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Guess I'm really out of touch and amazed at some of the prices. Cars I wouldn't think would have that much appeal went for surprising amounts and others that I would thought be more desirable items went for pocket change. Also surprised the high $ car seems to be the 21st series limo with a V8.

Posted on: 2009/8/16 11:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Even if the cars needed a lot of mechanical work from sitting, the interiors seemed in really good shape and the chrome looked good too. I watched the auction online. A guy named rodthebod bought a bunch of cars, mostly the Packards. I wonder if they will be on ebay soon. I'm sure any of them could turn around and resell them and make a quick buck with little effort.

Posted on: 2009/8/16 12:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
I guess times are harder than I thought! However, the '46 limo had a V-8 and automatic transmission, so maybe they weren't as origninal as advertised.

Posted on: 2009/8/16 13:02
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
I was at the auction in person hoping to buy a Packard. I wanted a 2 door and there were only 2. A 1956 400 which quickly went out of my price range at $10,800, and a 1956 Clipper Super which did not run at $3,000. Most of the cars were not too bad, but I'm sure nowhere near as good as they looked in pictures. If the exterior was not bad, the interior was not good. Better interior, worse exterior. Only one 1956 Patrician had an excellent original interior that it looked like nothing would need to be done. Exterior was no so good. While they started some of the other cars, absolutely none of the Packards were started, not even ones that were supposedly driveable. I was not comfortable bidding higher than $10,000 for a car that they would not even start. Plus while the 400 was decent, it still needed some bodywork, interior work, new parts, and rechroming, assuming it was actually driveable. The 400 and a 1955 Patrician (with unoriginal velour interior that sat on that lot for years) ended up in a bid war between the same 2 guys, and both went for too much in my opinion. Some of the 4 door Packards went for lower prices, and most were bought by the same guy (a phone bidder I think). Some of those might have been the only deals. I was wondering if they would show up later on Ebay. The 1948 Limo was in much better shape than the 1946, so I was surprised that the '46 sold for more. I guess people just don't like the bathtubs. The 1953 limo was an absolute basket case, although it supposedly had a rebuilt engine that also was not started. I also looked at a 77 or 78 Toronado XS with moonroof. It needed work and leaked so bad that my pants got soaked from just sitting in it. It went for over $2,000.

Posted on: 2009/8/24 12:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I'm glad you were there in person to see the cars. I don't feel so bad not being able to bid. I would have gone for one of the lower priced 4 doors though. The guy who seemed to by most of the lower end cars was an online bidder named rodthebod. I think he bought one of the limos too. I'm surprised that the cars didn't appear to be in that great of a condition. I wouldn't expect them to be mint, but if they really just sat around after being traded in for new Chryslers, I would expect that they would be pretty nice considering. The pictures and video certainly made them look like they were in nice condition. Here is a link to the dealers website that had their inventory sold offhttp://www.hy-waysales.com/inventory.html. That 1955 Packard 400 sat on the lot for a long time. When the asking price is $18,500, I can see why. I think the tops of the fenders had surface rust on them also. $3,995.00 for the 1951 was really steep. That one was pretty rough.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 18:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
Tried the link, but it doesn't work. The 1955 with velour that sat there for years at $18,500 was a Patrician, not a 400. So as a Patrician, I thought it was even more overpriced. If you remember that car, it was in much better shape than the Benoy Packards. Some of them supposedly had 40,000 miles or so on them, but I would not have guessed that. Looked more like 140,000. We were told that the Benoy Packards were basket cases by other Packard members that had seen them before. I would not say that they were basket cases, but all of them definitely needed work. I do not know where or how they were stored, but they definitely needed a lot more than just freshening up. All had varying degrees of rust, needed some if not lots of interior work, and of course who knows how and if any of them ran. Bidder #2000 is the guy that bought most of them I believe including the 1946 limo. I was quite surprised at the price some of the cars sold for, including the 1951, and some of the non-Packards. If you wanted a long term project, one of the 4 door Clippers might not have been a bad deal. But I was not interested in a long term project or 4 door, so I didn't check those out as much as the 2 doors.

Posted on: 2009/8/26 16:48
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved