Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 141

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard in Afghanistan
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mseanowen
See User information
The attached picture isn't of a Packard, but of the area where the car is located. I wanted to show it just because the sheer vastness of the vehicles is amazing. You would have to stand on that ridge to appreciate it; as far as the eye can see there are old Soviet tanks, aircraft, trucks, motorcycles and, of course, the 1948 Packard. Who knows how it got there.
I am currently e-mailing a buddy who is still there to see if he can make it over and check on things for us. I am in the Army and don't have the resources to restore the car as it deserves. If I can find a way to get it back I will simply put whoever really wants it in contact with someone in-country and let them get it out. I don't want to make any money on it, just save the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (147.47 KB)
1500_4ac14007a40e6.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (132.51 KB)
1500_4ac14267a8ee7.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/9/28 18:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
mseanowen wrote:......as far as the eye can see there are old Soviet tanks, aircraft, trucks, motorcycles and, of course, the 1948 Packard.......

Any ZIS or ZIL's in with these? If so, Gerd may want to mount an expedition to rescue them? Or failing that, could be Gerd's chance to pick up a Packard!

Posted on: 2009/9/28 18:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I was in Africa for two years and stumbled across the a custom Packard town car. No cameras allowed as it was a restricted zone. I sort of paused for a while and then got the hell out of there.

I turned down Afghan after seeing an execution video.

Well, actually I could only watch 15 seconds of it.

One of my acquantances got blown up so don't get too absorbed in these artifacts.

Posted on: 2009/9/28 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
First off I'd like to thank mseanowen for his service to our country.

On a somewhat related note, I recall seeing at the NY Checker dealer in the late 70's a dark blue sedan that specially built for a Kuwaiti prince...I wonder if it still exists. There probably aren't too many people who knew of this car or, for that matter, care!

Posted on: 2009/9/28 20:03
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mseanowen
See User information
I wouldn't be surprised if your Checker wound up in a place like this. I accidently found this rather large collection of cars in Dubai, UAE while on leave. A rather rich member of the local community placed his cars on display in a elaborate building with marble floors and skylights highlighting the perfectly restored beauties. Fords, Chevrolets, old military trucks, and some makes I have never seen before were there for anyone to view for no admission. Such places are common in the Middle East. I wish we could have saved the cars Saddam had in his collection. Most of them were destroyed, including a couple of Packards.

Attach file:

jpg  (171.15 KB)
1500_4ac16c0730f24.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/9/28 21:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
How much do think it would cost to get sent stateside? What would be involved with customs and such? This is very intriguing.

Posted on: 2009/9/28 21:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved