Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 78

kevinpackard, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Packard Pickups
Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
I'd like to see a '48-'54 Henney Senior ambulance made into a pickup. I think that would be rather easy to do.

Yup, I always figured a good starting point for a truck/El Camino-ish conversion would be a flower car as it already has a truncated passenger compartment and an open bed of sorts. I wonder if anyone still makes that type of professional car any more.

Posted on: 2009/9/27 13:22
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Here is a side photo of the 56, which is #5. I've put 12K miles on it since the conversion, but since it is mine, have not gotten around to making it pretty. She shows 119 K miles and the bottom end is getting a little rumbly...Ah, the shoemaker's children. She's quite pleasant to drive and the lifters are quiet if I keep her a quart over full. Included is a shot halfway thru the conversion.

The red 51 200 is #1, which I did with gear start ultra, 3.07 rear, and a ported and relieved 288 with 4bbl.

The blue 53 Clipper Deluxe is #4, with 327 and overdrive/ ported relieved, 3/4 cam and 4bbl. Its a snappy performer.

Next up, #6, is based on a 55 Patrician and the guy wants it solid red. Should be an eyefull. It comes back from paint this week.

Its all about fun with cheap used cars. You get way more bang for your buck with Packards. If these were Chevrolets they would be too expensive to modify! (and not as much fun to drive)

Attach file:

jpg  (82.63 KB)
618_4abffd59c7d73.jpg 1280X545 px

jpg  (161.43 KB)
618_4abffd718f546.jpg 1091X818 px

jpg  (137.22 KB)
618_4abffd8d9594a.jpg 1091X818 px

jpg  (108.28 KB)
618_4abffda3e104c.jpg 1091X818 px

Posted on: 2009/9/27 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I can't help but think the Clippers might look better with the original rear window grafted on and the rear doors welded shut.

Posted on: 2009/9/27 19:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Ross,
I am loving your creations more and more ...

Quote:
Quote: 41ParPack wrote: Ross,......Please add them to the Owner Registry [and indicate the 'modifications' you have described in this posting] DanL
OZ wrote:
DanL, I second the motion! Please include the Packard Pickups, here we'd call 'em "Utes", in the Registry.

We are 4 cars short of 500 on the Owner Registry.
How many Packard Pickups do I see here????

Here is the place - - -
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/

DanL

Posted on: 2009/9/28 1:19
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Ross -

Thanks for posting all those pix of your work.

It sure is nice seeing such craftsmanship instead of all the hacked-up, half-baked rat-rods that turn up on eBay and the like. Yes, your work on these examples is much in the same spirit as dealers from back in the day might have done with low-value "trade-ins" - to make their own service vehicles.

I dunno about using the rear section of roof, together with the wraparound window, though. It would not only sacrifice cargo capacity, but create a real headbanger upon entry and egress, as the sedan front doors are a bit too short. One might get some help by studying design cues from later El Caminos, but that would still take a heckuva a lot more work.

BTW, I believe your '56 Clipper pick-up was at Warren this year, but sorry I didn't get a chance to meet and speak with you in person.

Posted on: 2009/9/28 14:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
There was to be at least a Studebaker (if not also a Clipper) El Camino for the aborted 1957 model year.

Posted on: 2009/9/28 15:47
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yes, I believe they were gonna recycle the name "Coupe Express" for the Studebaker car-based pick-up.

Posted on: 2009/9/28 17:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I am playing with making an extended cab Packup by moving the rear portion of the roof forward about 20 to 24 inches and retaining the wraparaound rear window. The difficulty is that the cars are much wider at the c pillars than they are at the a and b pillars so one ends up with a LOT of extra sheetmetal from side to side in the roof that has to be cut and welded, kind of like darts in a fitted shirt.

To get proportions and ease of entry, there will need to be a quarter window behind the door, about the size of the former rear vent window. Its a lot of work, but it will look very cool. No time for that just now.

Posted on: 2009/9/28 20:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Ross,

Have seen the red truck at PAC meets. You do nice work. I had always thought about doing a 56 Clipper truck. Can the rear glass be used as the back glass. Inverted (con-cave)like a El Camino, or would that take too much space?

Posted on: 2009/10/1 21:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Those windows are deeply curved, and I think you would loose too much space. Find a picture of the roof Henney used on the 51-54 flower cars. That would be about ideal, but would require wasting a hardtop. Oog.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 21:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved