Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

327 and 288 interchange
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I have a 51 200 with a 288 engine that is running, but a bit tired. I recently bought a 327 5 main bearing engine and just finished tearing it down to vat and magnaflux. It looks like there is a small crack in the water jacket, just above the oil dipstick hole. There doesn't appear to be a crack in the cylinder wall. If the block is cracked, can I take the 327 crank and/or rods and put them in my 288 block to make a 327? Also, any recommendations on using the hydraulic lifters versus the solid lifters? The 327 has been sitting since 1962, and it was a lot of fun getting the old valves out. The engine has been overhauled at least once, and has .30 oversized pistons.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
David Grubbs - Billings MT

Posted on: 2009/11/11 21:26
 Top  Print   

Re: 327 and 288 interchange
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I think that's how Packard made them in the first place. At least they both have 3 1/2 inch bore, only the stroke is different.

Now that this question is to the top of the list (bump) maybe the real experts will chime in.

If not, you could measure the main bearing size and the length of the crank and if it measures up, try it in the block. If it fits and doesn't hit anything you should be in business.

On other engines with interchangeable crankshafts, it is important to use the rods that match the crank as they are different lengths. So I would use the rods as well.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 22:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The cranks will interchange, the blocks are essentially the same. Use the 327 rods with the 327 crank, unless you want to buy custom shorter pistons with a shorter compression distance with the 288 rods on the 327 crank. Everything will interchange, head, manifolds, water pump, flywheel, bellhousing, etc.

For ease of maintenance, I'd go with the hydraulic lifters, as once you get 'em set, you're done. (Use the hydraulic cam, too)

Now here's the catch on all of this: This will only work on a '51 IF the 327 you have is '51 and up, as the '50 and back engines do not have provisions for side engine mounts like the '51 and up cars use. (I put this in here for others who may be contemplating doing the same thing) BUT, since you're using your '51 288 block, you'll have no problems. Also, I'd use the 288 head, it'll give you a little bump in the compression and make it a snappier car. Plus, it'll look completely stock on the outside and only you will know the difference. Don't worry about mixing up the cranks, as they're marked either "288" or "327", cast into one of the throws, I think it's between 1 and 2 cylinder. Hope this helps!

Posted on: 2009/11/11 23:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If the pistons are in good shape it should be possible to reuse them. The 288 block will need to be rebored.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 12:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Why would the 288 block necessarily need to be rebored? He might get lucky and have a .030 288 block, lol.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 12:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
That would be bad luck if it was bored .030 and then worn out again.

He says the 288 is a bit tired so maybe the cylinders need truing. If not he can reuse the 288 pistons. New rings and honing with a bottle brush hone should fix it.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 16:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yeah, hopefully he gets lucky and it swaps easy for him. If he can use the .030 pistons it would be great, I would have no problem using "used" pistons provided they check out ok.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 16:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved