Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

allow me to pick your brains about my Twin Ultramatic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
okay......it is diffenetly stuck in gear. i think it is stuck in the first triangle on the left of the D on the column.

i got under the car and tried to move the driveshaft, which is disconnected from the rear end, and it wont budge a bit. not a MM. i then put a wrench on one of the bolts to the output shaft to get some leverage....nothing....and that is not fun being under a car with a bunch of spiders......which i HATE!! creepy crawly bastards... that is me smashing them and this is me shooting them

i also tried moving the linkage arm where it goes into the side of the trans. pan. it wont move much at all. it is leaking fluid though....

the trans seems like it used to be RED in color....does that seem right, shouldn't it be tealish color like the motor. the previous owner did think that it was replace from the original one, but that was it.

i took the little linkage off the switch on the steering column and faked it out to think it was in P. turned the key and it tried to turn, i didn't want to do it long as i didn't want to mess up the motor since it hasn't been started in so long. it did give me one good rrruuuurrr and then i stopped. trans. still wouldn't come out of gear. so i tried one more time....ruuurrr ruuurrr and heard the drive shaft clank on the underside of the car...so the trans is turning, but i tried to get it out of gear and still nothing. i didn't try again...don't want to push my luck.

so.....what should i do. get the motor all ready to really really run and then take the drive shaft off completely so it wont slash and run the car a bit to get the fluids flowing....and then try to take it out of gear.....

i am lost.

thanks for the help guys....i love wisdom and when you share it it is even better

Hank

Posted on: 2008/1/21 21:42
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: allow me to pick your brains about my Twin Ultramatic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
also if this thing needs a rebuild....who is the best one to go too. the individual i bought the car from said there was someone up north that was about 84 years old that knew them very well.

thanks,

Hank

Posted on: 2008/1/21 22:13
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sounding good. I'll post pix of a couple of other things tomorrow that cause it to stick besides the linkage. At any rate, you are going to have to take pan off to see and get to them. Hopefully, it is one of them, otherwise its starting to sound like $$. Do you have service manual? If not, strongy suggest you download the Ultramatic section (sect VII) and review.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?119

Posted on: 2008/1/21 23:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i kinda figured the next step was to take the pan off and see what was going on where the linkage entered the side. may just be that it hasn't been running and it is just mad about sitting so long, but then again why would they tie the drive shaft up and disconnect it from the rearend....sounds like they knew something i need to find out. i called the guy i bought it from to pick his brain. left a message and will report what he says later.

thanks for the help HH, can't wait for the pics and also the chance to try them out to see if it helps get the trans. unstuck. i am hoping that $$ doesn't have to take a part in this, but i have a feeling.....it will need some work and therefore $$. i did download just about everything about the T/Ultra and will read, but honestly i am sure i will get confused reading that huge book. well the good news is...the motor turned via starter....no wire smell either... still the wiring harness is crap.

thanks dude,

Hank

Posted on: 2008/1/22 0:07
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here's the 3 reasons Packard noted for sticking in prk, but it sounds like your lever is stuck in park but not the actual trans since drive shaft turned. I would have thought these caught early in cars life but maybe not or trans problems were why car was parked.

Anyway, look over manual to get a feel for disassembly, drop pan and check out the valve mentioned. Look carefully at the shaft and pot metal lever that operates valve and park pawl. Both of these are known failure areas..

Ultramatic Dynamicshttp://www.ultramaticdynamics.com/
has remanufactured and improved both--check out their website for some additional things to look at.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.58 KB)
209_479607156ae3d.jpg 800X422 px

jpg  (53.95 KB)
209_47960726b3a5e.jpg 657X800 px

jpg  (26.64 KB)
209_479607327ba52.jpg 627X199 px

Posted on: 2008/1/22 10:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
if you look at the lever going into the trans it is at a 90 degree angle with the connecting rod, not straight as it indicates could be the problem if it is stuck in P. the gear shift handle and indicator both state the car is in D "H", so there is not P indicated on the column at this time. the only way i got the car to turn over was to make the car think it was in park by disconnecting the switch from the linkage and moving it manually myself.

i will call this guy at ultramatic dynamics....if mine is already a replacement....and not numbers matching, maybe i can just trade him out for a good one.

thanks for the help.

Hank

Posted on: 2008/1/22 10:17
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
okay, i took the pan off. the linkage inside was barely loose, so i tightened it....to no avail. the valve is stuck. i disconnected the valve from the linkage and tried to move it by hand....it didn't budge. it is stuck in there good. it will not move in and out.

any thoughts......could it be corroded. there was plenty of tranny fluid.

i will post some pictures tomorrow.

later,

Hank

Posted on: 2008/1/24 20:04
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

440PACSLER
See User information
Hank,
Call me and lets talk. I only take tranis apart and don't rebuild them but maybe I can help. I put 20k miles on an Ultramatic and 120k miles on my 400 with a 727. I bet you know why it got the 727.
Mike in Minnesnowda 218-721-4631 days

Posted on: 2008/2/1 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi Clipbee, If you have the pan off and have disconnected the control valve it should be possible to move it but remember that it has a serrated end held between two sets of spring loaded balls, so it will only move with considerable force ( say 40 lbs), between each gear selection serration. If the trans was full of fluid then it is unlikely that the control valve is jammed. There is also a possibility thet the control relays for the PB have been incorrectly wired. I would hasten slowly and be guided by Mr PB on that aspect. Best Regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2008/2/2 5:01
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yeah, i know why you got the 727....only the best transmission in the world if you ask me. i had a 1983 Cordoba with one.....through it in reverse once when i was still moving forward.....nothing....worked fine...bullet transmission. i gave that car alot of crap....i was only 16.....so you can image the abuse that motor and trans got. LOL!! my grand father had one put in his patrician, but the PB U/M has been put back in since by the new owner. guess my grandfather didn't like them either. LOL!!!

i am planning on getting an U/M from Bob Aller, we have worked out a deal. i want the car to be as original as possible. some of the people i know that have rebuilt ones from him have had them in their cars for nearly 20 years now and they still work fine. he worked for Packard from 1949 to when the closed down. nice guy on the phone too.

if i decide to go with the 727 i will call so you can tell me how. i plan on dropping the trans this weekend so i can work on the motor starting and so i can get to the trans easier to see what is wrong.

should be lots of cussing going on i am sure.

Posted on: 2008/2/2 13:58
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved