Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 114

29tons, indhd20s, pmhowe, Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: fender mounted rear view mirrors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Interesting. I've never seen anything, previously, about "PA" items actually being installed on the assembly line - except those that were also assigned a build code/symbol. To the best of my knowledge the only thing printed on the build strip that was taped to the top of the glove box is a string of build codes - same as what appears on a line on the corresponding production record.

It appears, then, that any accessory item that was lacking a build code, but was installed on the assembly line, would have to be recorded, by P/N, as some sort of special note on the production record.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 22:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
Do not have any info on 1955 and no mention of fog lights in the 56 material I have

Posted on: 2010/2/14 13:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

KevinAZ wrote:
Just tossing in my 2 cents.

Guy, the mirrors (Yankee style -not original) on my '55 400 prior to the restoration were mounted on the doors, immediately outside the vent windows. Somewhat useless being positioned there IMHO. Then on my '55 parts Patrician, the original styled mirrors were mounted on both front fenders midway behind the headlight's leading edge.
I found it hard to use them from that vantage too. So.....I have no intentions of placing any outside mirrors anywhere on my car now that it has been restored. I'll just try talking myself out of the ticket if I ever get stopped on the roadway.

Attached are a couple of pictures of 400's I've seen over the years with mirrors mounted.

Sort of nice being in this position where we can make such decisions with our cars??

Best regards.

Kevin,

The mounting in the second pic appears to be where I remember all 3 '55 Packards in our "stable" were mounted... on the fender immediately behind the antenna. I think this is a good mounting spot, similar in placement to modern mirrors and giving probably the best view behind. Also, no stress or loosening from door-slamming. Especially on 2-doors, the only way to "shut" those big doors was to heave them pretty hard!

This is my

Posted on: 2010/2/14 15:45
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

56executive wrote:
the build sheets for the 5699'S

56executive:

You have entered the Twilight Zone of Packard V8 fans with your '56 build sheet information.

As you likely know well, '56 production numbers are somewhat of an ongoing mystery. It would seem that build sheets, if they comprise a complete tally of all models, could give an accurate count of production totals for the year.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 1:04
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As you likely know well, '56 production numbers are somewhat of an ongoing mystery.

55PackardGuy, please clarify a bit for me what the mystery is, I thought this data was guite firmly established.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 10:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
As you likely know well, '56 production numbers are somewhat of an ongoing mystery.

55PackardGuy, please clarify a bit for me what the mystery is, I thought this data was guite firmly established.

Well, I don't have it, and my major sourcebook, the Kimes "History" doesn't have it, so maybe I'm missing something else. The figures that are available are in doubt due to the collapse of the company:

"For calendar years 1954 through 1958, the breakdown of production into specific models is not known. Indeed, there are no figures extant prepared by the Packard Motor Car Company for calendar year production during these years. However sources outside the company, but contemporary to the period, provided the following figures for the last years of the Packard automobile: calendar 1954, 27,583 units; calendar 1955, 69,667 units; calendar 1956, 13,432 units; calendar 1957, 5495 units; calendar 1958, 1745 units."*

If anyone has anything better, with documentation to back it up, I'd love to see it.

*Source: Packard, a History of the Motor Car and the Company 1978, Automobile Quarterly, Inc., Beverly Rae Kimes, ed. pg. 809 (emphases added)

Posted on: 2010/2/15 17:30
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know the originating source of these figures but they have been used for years without much question as far as I know. Perhaps they were verified from factory records, or from the build slips. They agree with figures in other sources, though of course they might all have the same origin. There are similar charts for most postwar cars in the appendeces in Nat Dawes book. This particular page comes from the 55/56 Service Counselor reprint. Hope this helps.

Attach file:

jpg  (116.55 KB)
177_4b79e5335dc9f.jpg 1166X1175 px

Posted on: 2010/2/15 19:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
I have a production by models sheet dated 5-10-57 from N. E. Haber showing 1955 Deluxe 4 Door produced 8039 cars all other counts agree for a total of all production of 55247 another sheet same date covering 1956 production shows 5672A 1784 5677A 1031 for total of all production of 28835

Posted on: 2010/2/15 20:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
55PackardGuy wrote Quote:
Quote:
PackardV8 wrote:
Kevin writes: "I'll just try talking myself out of the ticket if I ever get stopped on the roadway."

Can u give us some education on how to do that???

I need a good excuse for tossing empties out the window.
Also need good excuse for running 10-15 mph over the Interstate speed limit.

Sure,

Stay in the car, get out your wallet, roll down the window (snip) Have a nice traffic stop!

What you don't understand about Keith's sarcastic questions is that KevinAZ IS A COP and Keith knows this.

ROTFLMAO!

Craig

Posted on: 2010/2/15 20:29
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Owen,
I thank you for the templates. I really hate to put holes in the fenders but guess I can always lead them in later if I remove the mirrors.

Posted on: 2010/2/18 10:19
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved